mtbr member

Best size for me?

I'm not quite 6' 2" tall (about 6' 1 1/2"). I'm considering buying an '09 Trek 4500. A couple questions for you bike experts:

- What bike frame size should I get -- 19.5" or a 21" (My pants size is 36 - 34. So I guess my in-seam is 34 if that helps)
    - The bike I'm looking at is $550. Is that a decent price?
    - The color of the bike is a matte white. What's your opinion of that color?
    - The bike has Rock Shox Dart 3. Is that good?
    - The bike does not have disc brakes. What's your opinion of that?
    - The bike has Shimano Deore derail system. What's your opinion of that?

I ride about 60 percent hard surface and about 40 percent trail. I may be ridding more trail soon.

Thanks. I appreciate the information.

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Traveler5
    I will answer only what I know, I am just getting back in to this myself.

First of all, seriously, you go to a web forum to find out if the color is o'kay? My first bike was metallic gold and the ugliest thing I have ever seen, my current ride is canary yellow with green tires and is the second ugliest thing I have ever seen. Who cares what it looks like, you are going to crash and scrape all the paint off anyway.

If you can't or don't want to afford disk brakes now, at least make sure you get a bike that can be upgraded to them later. After suspension, I think disk brakes were one of the best bike inventions since getting rid of that giant front wheel. It helps you stop in all conditions, that is pretty important to minimizing those paint scraping crashes.
    As far as size, go ride both sizes and see which fits you best. I ride a bike that is on the "smaller" side for me because I prefer the feel. Its all preference really. Most important thing is to ride a bike that feels comfortable for YOU.

There's no app for this.
    [QUOTE=Traveler5]I'm not quite 6' 2" tall (about 6' 1 1/2"). I'm considering buying an '09 Trek 4500. A couple questions for you bike experts:

- What bike frame size should I get -- 19.5" or a 21" (My pants size is 36 - 34. So I guess my in-seam is 34 if that helps)
    You choose the bike by the correct cockpit - with your butt on the saddle and hands on the bars, you should feel like it was made just for you. Not too upright, not too far forward. You MUST nail this part, frame size is a general indicator only
    - The bike I'm looking at is $550. Is that a decent price?
    Yes
    You'll have to ask Matte
    - The bike has Rock Shox Dart 3. Is that good?
    No, but it's OK for starers if you truly are not going off road that much.
    Discs you will need if you ride in rain and wet, otherwise VBrakes are fine
    - The bike has Shimano Deore derail system. What's your opinion of that?
    It's of good quality.

I ride about 60 percent hard surface and about 40 percent trail. I may be ridding more trail soon.
    then consider a bike with a better fork than the dart, a Reba would be my best guess and that will drive your purchase price up. If you get serious and have the Dart 3, you'll simply wind up replacing it anyhow. Upgrading the fork at purchase is the best and cheapest option for you

Jim

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by rbreslin
    First of all, seriously, you go to a web forum to find out if the color is o'kay? My first bike was metallic gold and the ugliest thing I have ever seen, my current ride is canary yellow with green tires and is the second ugliest thing I have ever seen. Who cares what it looks like, you are going to crash and scrape all the paint off anyway.
    That's funny. I see what you're saying. The reason I ask about color is that I'm a guy and currently have a black bike and wondered if the white color would be too girlish.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    The guys are right. Take your time and get the right size frame. As you ride your bike, you will get a better understanding of what feels right for you. Many like to make minor adjustments to make the bike feel better.

mtbr member
    It would be nice if it has disc brakes. You have relatively long legs otherwise I would say go for the 21 inch bike. You might find the 19.5 inch bike is a better fit. The seat might have to go up aways and they might have to make some adjustments with the stem. A decent dealer should be able to help you nail down the fit. I would at least look pretty hard at the smaller bike than automatically letting someone put you on the 21 inch bike.