mtbr member
    May 2010

best (and lightest) bike for $2000 (hardtail)

hello. i used to ride a 22 lb kona kula supreme until i smashed it into a tree, and broke my shoulder in 7 places. rehabbed myself back into shape (except the beer gut ) and am ready to buy.

may go the used route if pinkbike shows me something, but if not, narrowed choices to:

trek 8000
    marin indian fire trail (2010)

anything else?

looking for a light, nimble, 26er, with xt'ish parts. keep in mind i'm in canada so my budget is in canadian dollars (which is stronger than US$ but prices are still higher, bull____!), but the $2K range is what i'm looking to spend.

so- what's the bst bang for buck?

mtbr member
    May 2010
    Bump.. For the weekday experts..

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    I just bought a Trek 8000 in April, got it down to $ 1400. I have nothing but great things to say about the bike. It is decently light, fast, nimble, and climbs great. I love the bike!

mtbr member
    May 2010
    2011 trek or 2010?

Thats a great price, where from?

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    It is a 2011. An LBS by me, Wheel & Sprocket, Americas largest trek dealer, was having a tent sale. I had went hoping that I would get it at least for $1600, seeing as it was listed in their store two weeks earlier for $1800. Well they had it at $1800 and I told the guy I only had $1600, which I did, the first guy said he could not budge so then I asked another guy who said he could do it for $1400 not including tax. So in all it came to about $1500 but still a great price.

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    Also, I think the components on it are pretty good. I am not a bike nut, but I am planning on racing this summer and there are not really any components on it that I need to replace right now. Wheels have stayed straight as a door knob after three trails rides. The fork is pretty nice, has lockout, is a bit squeaky for first few pumps of the ride but then it is fine. I have had a little trouble with brakes pads rubbing against the rotor, but since getting that fixed it has been good, and the Avid brakes are not squeaky at all, contrary to what I have read about those style Avid brakes.