Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Jul 2007

Best, light weight mountain bike for under $1500

I am looking for the best, ultra light weight mountain bike I can get for under $1500. New or used is fine. I use to ride a lot of BMX when I was younger, and mountain bikes quite a bit a few years ago. I am trying to get back into mountain biking. I would love to find something that weighed under 20 lbs for under $1500 with atleast front suspension is it possible? I need something that won't fall apart though. I am usually pretty rough on a bike, riding up stairs, dirt jumps, big drops. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I just seem to be all over the place from craigslist, ebay, IBEX, or build my own. To many decisions!

Here is my budget: $1500
    Here are my needs:
    Light bike under 20 lbs
    Front suspension, with full I could go 23 lbs
    18" frame, Im 5'11" 180 lbs
    tough bike that can handle rough riding
    smooth riding, fits comfortably, looks cool

Thanks for any help,
    Brian
    Last edited by b1wso; 10-17-2007 at 12:48 AM.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007

These look pretty good

I am thinking really hard about this motobecane:

http://www.bikesdirect.com/products/...instocknow.htm

I wish I could have gotten one of these IBEX bikes:

http://www.ibexbikes.com/Bikes/TR-PRO-SE-Details.html

I guess they were out of stock

There were a few good ones on ebay, this one is pretty sweet but I was looking for a 18" frame. This one is 19" is there that much of a difference?

http://cgi.ebay.com/Specialized-S-Wo...QQcmdZViewItem

Let me know if you guys have any suggestions

Thanks,
    Brian

AKA Dr.Nob
    You want world peace with that?

Why are you focusing so much on the weight.

My race bike cost 3 times what you want to spend and it's 23.5 pounds.

Dude if you have not been riding for a while you will be better off getting something that can take some rough riding.

Those bikes will stand up to some XC racing but I wouldn't do any dirt jumps or big drops.

I think you'd better learn some more about mountain biking.
    Not that all teenagers are evil mind, just most of them.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007

You gotta start somewhere

I know I am asking a lot, but you have to start somewhere. To me, there is nothing better than looking at a bad ass bike and then picking it up and being blown away about how light it is. I prefer my bikes bikes to be smaller, lighter and more nimble.

I am willing to spend up to $2k, I just want to know what the best, lightest bike out there is for between 1.5K and 2K.

any help is much appreciated

Brian

mtbr member
    Jul 2007

GumbyMark look at this one

I said I was willing to buy used, here is a sweet bike which you could get for around $1500. Its not world peace, but close. The only problem is I would like a 17" to 18" frame max. This is 19"

http://cgi.ebay.com/Specialized-S-Wo...QQcmdZViewItem

AKA Dr.Nob
    The Specailized is VERY similar to my own race bike only my bike is a Carbon Giant.

You said in the OP that you wanted to do Dirt jumps and Drops. Well, there is no way I would do that on my Giant.

It's a race bike through and through. They have steep angles and are quite trickey to handle for somebody who hasn't done a lot of riding.

Buy it if you want but I think you are going about this the wrong way around.

You may need to work out what type of riding you want to do. I've ridden with some ex BMX's and although they have good tech skills thay aren't the smothest or lighest riders.

PS Check out the price on an XTR driveline (chain rings, rear cluster and chain)
    Not that all teenagers are evil mind, just most of them.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007

anyone else

your not helping me bro

Mtbr Forum Sponsor
    Brian

Hi

Thanks for looking at the FLY

FLY class Motobecanes are XC race bikes. They do that job very well. Last two regional races in my area everyone in the top 3 places were on Motos. I do not think there is any faster XC bike made at any price.

That said; FLYs are not made for jumping or hucking. Riders, who know how to land, jump them without issue. But if you are mainly wanting a jumping bike, you should generally get a heavier bike.

Next Spring we will have the FLY TEAM Ti and the frame on that will be about bullet proof as it is titantium. Team Ti is a bit heavier [ 4/10 th of a lb]- So a FLY TEAM Ti is about 20.5 lbs. Nice choice for your use; but not out until April

thanks for your interest

mike

wannabe corporate shill
    Jan 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by bikesdirect
    Brian

Hi

Thanks for looking at the FLY

FLY class Motobecanes are XC race bikes. They do that job very well. Last two regional races in my area everyone in the top 3 places were on Motos. I do not think there is any faster XC bike made at any price.

That said; FLYs are not made for jumping or hucking. Riders, who know how to land, jump them without issue. But if you are mainly wanting a jumping bike, you should generally get a heavier bike.

Next Spring we will have the FLY TEAM Ti and the frame on that will be about bullet proof as it is titantium. Team Ti is a bit heavier [ 4/10 th of a lb]- So a FLY TEAM Ti is about 20.5 lbs. Nice choice for your use; but not out until April

thanks for your interest

mike
    I'm personally interested in an 18" Fly (not Team). How much would a regular 18" Fly weigh?

Mtbr Forum Sponsor
    Quote Originally Posted by grnxb
    I'm personally interested in an 18" Fly (not Team). How much would a regular 18" Fly weigh?
    FLY PRO is about 21.5 lbs
    but is sold out
    New version will be in next spring with Juicy 7 disc brakes will be $1095

FLY 9357 is sold out; but coming in 3 weeks from now or so
    FLY 9357 is about 20.5 lbs

We are thinking of ordring a v-brake version again - if there is enough interest

mike

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Single Speed

Under 20 lbs for 1,500. Lose the gears, derailers and shifters and you will get there much quicker.

Master of None
    It's these guys I imagine have a lot of warranty requests. "Man, I was just riding along (maybe it was that 6' drop to flat? Naw.) and my 3 lb race fork snapped like a twig! Piece of junk!"

mtbr member
    The tires on the Fly are probably not suitable for racing so you will need to change those out and I think you can add a half a pound. The Ops request for a 20 pound hardtail for $1500 is close to absurd. There is currently a Felt on Ebay thats in the 22.5 pound range that will sell for less than $1000 with light use and thats pretty decent. Heres a nice example of probably as light and as fast a hardtail thay anyone will do a build on a 2007 S-Works Carbon Hardtail that probably will sell for less than $3000 slightly used. My guess is the weight might be in the 21 pound range.

http://cgi.ebay.com/2007-Specialized...QQcmdZViewItem

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    What you want doesn't exist at any price point--at least nothing currently manufacturered. Forget about getting anything that can huck under 20 pounds or even 23 pounds. That's ultra light XC racing territory. Twenty-five or twenty-six pounds is more realistic, though that still might be out of your budget range. Just for reference, $2000 might get you a used sub 20 pound carbon road bike.
    Last edited by Fivedays; 10-17-2007 at 03:18 PM.

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Fivedays
    Just for reference, $2000 might get you a used sub 20 pound carbon road bike.
    http://www.bikesdirect.com/products/..._08instock.htm

coughwhat?cough

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Okay, correction. $2,000 will get you a new sub 20 pound road bike. I haven't been in the market for road bikes in a few years. But my point is still made. Nothing below 23 pounds in a mountain bike is going to survive dirt jumping, hucking and big drops.

wannabe corporate shill
    Jan 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by micky
    Under 20 lbs for 1,500. Lose the gears, derailers and shifters and you will get there much quicker.
    might as well go all the way with a fixed gear rigid (sarcasm)....no gears, shifters, suspension, or brakes.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    OP's original requirements.

- ultra light weight mountain bike
    - I am usually pretty rough on a bike, riding up stairs, dirt jumps, big drops.
    - 180 lbs
    - $1500

- somebody mentioned world peace, I think world peace is more doable.

- Budget went to $2000
    - fully at 23 lbs

Again, my money is on world peace.

mtbr member
    Hi,

I'm looking for a sports car. New or used. Must do 0-60 in under 5 seconds. It should also be able to handle some jeep roads and snow. My budget is $20000.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007

OK, wise asses! give me an opinion on this deal

What do you guys think about this bike? I might go buy it tonight. Seems like a good deal.

http://honolulu.craigslist.org/oah/bik/451764933.html

mtbr member
    I think it might be ok. The forks and wheels could be a little higher grade. The price looks ok as long as it rides pretty decent. You dont have a lot of selection over there in the 50th state but I think this Blur is also worth taking a look at. It looks like it might have a Fox RLT fork and if it has XTR 960 cranks it would be a decent bike. It think the prices on both bikes because they are 4-5 years old could be a little less.

http://honolulu.craigslist.org/oah/bik/447624153.html

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Borregokid,
    Thanks for the help. I will take a look at both of those bikes and see what I can get them for. I just moved to Hawaii a few months ago, your right its hard to find good deals on anything around here. I have been watching craigslist for a few months and have a few bids open on ebay. Ebay kills ya with that shipping though.
    Thanks again,
    Brian

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Doesn't look like a bad deal when considering your original budget of $1500. And you'd have some money left over for upgrades.

mtbr member
    Check Boca Bikes behind Bike factory near the Harbor. Sometimes you can score unreal
    deals on used Hardtails and Fs.

Good Luck

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by b1wso
    What do you guys think about this bike? I might go buy it tonight. Seems like a good deal.

http://honolulu.craigslist.org/oah/bik/451764933.html
    See if you can have a bike shop check the bike. The switchblade is an older/not produced anymore Titus model, but if you don't have to spend/replace anything and the bike is legit, IMO a "barely used" (seller's words) Titus Switchblade w/ maguras, king, and other brand name parts is a good buy. Compare it with other $1000 Fullys offered by LBS.

You can also check Borrego's recommendation and try to bring down the price.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast