Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    What?
    Quote Originally Posted by Tone's View Post
    ^^^^^^^^^^ sorry mullen119, dont agree in the slightest.....
    I would love to see a link to something speced that good at the same price point.

That would need to include full X9 or XT drivetrain, Similar fork to a revelation and shock to a monarch RT, as well as similar wheels. Full 5'' travel and come in at 28.5lbs.

No Stranger to danger....
    Quote Originally Posted by mullen119 View Post
    I would love to see a link to something speced that good at the same price point.

That would need to include full X9 or XT drivetrain, Similar fork to a revelation and shock to a monarch RT, as well as similar wheels. Full 5'' travel and come in at 28.5lbs.
    Its a pretty nice bike mullen and i agree its priced well, but imo the sus system on that doesnt come close to the maestro system on a trance which imo is the best out there, cheers.
    but thats just my opinion, opinions are like ass holes, everybodies got one lol, with mine being no more right than anybody else's.
    Dont ever let the truth get in the way of a funny story....

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by mimi1885 View Post
    I'll tell you for the "bang 4 d bucks" performance design would be the Giant Maestro. It's mini dual links, proven, relatively light weight, and worthy of upgrades. It's not my intention to make this a snobbish remark but Derro is at best a 2nd tier FS design
    Please forgive my sarcasm, but is the guy being passed by the guy riding a Sette using a Giant Maestro or some other Giant model?

Source: Post your SETTE photos here
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Best full suspension bikes under 00?-img_6163.jpg  

Best full suspension bikes under 00?-img_6166.jpg  

T.W.O.
    Quote Originally Posted by getagrip View Post
    Please forgive my sarcasm, but is the guy being passed by the guy riding a Sette using a Giant Maestro or some other Giant model?
    My bad. I was under the impression that you wanted the best bike under $1500, if you want the best engine it's free with your current bike

Sent from my iPhone 4s using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by mimi1885 View Post
    My bad. I was under the impression that you wanted the best bike under $1500, if you want the best engine it's free with your current bike
    Unfortunately, with my engine, a $5,000 bike becomes a $150 Walmart bike! But I still want a nice one!

Ok, so I did test ride 3 bikes today: a 2013 Giant Trance, a 2012 Giant Yukon, and Trek Fuel EX8. Of all 3 bikes, I liked the Trek best, but at $2,000 and change, its a little over my budget. Oddly, I liked the $970 Yukon a little better than the $1500 Trance - it just felt a little more solid, but obviously the Trance had better components, including the Maestro suspension. I tested all 3 bikes in a parking lot, and I know that the impression of a bike changes after you ride on dirt. Oh well, for now, it does make the "itch" go away a little, but at the same time, I might just pick up a FS frame on eBay, then do a parts swap with my current bike.

T.W.O.
    Unfortunately, with my engine, a $5,000 bike becomes a $150 Walmart bike! But I still want a nice one!

Ok, so I did test ride 3 bikes today: a 2013 Giant Trance, a 2012 Giant Yukon, and Trek Fuel EX8. Of all 3 bikes, I liked the Trek best, but at $2,000 and change, its a little over my budget. Oddly, I liked the $970 Yukon a little better than the $1500 Trance - it just felt a little more solid, but obviously the Trance had better components, including the Maestro suspension. I tested all 3 bikes in a parking lot, and I know that the impression of a bike changes after you ride on dirt. Oh well, for now, it does make the "itch" go away a little, but at the same time, I might just pick up a FS frame on eBay, then do a parts swap with my current bike.
    Did the shop spend some time and set up the suspension before you take it out or just safety check. There's nothing wrong with the fx they are pretty good. I'd say it would be closest to the Derro.

Fuel ex are great. It has plenty of proprietary components to offer a great ride. Modified single pivot with concentric drop out provide really good climbing and descend as well as fully active suspension during hard braking. It's a shorter travel version of my favorite Gary fisher roscoe.

You should be able to find one at about $1500. It's not exactly better than Maestro but definitely another good flavor, yum.

Sent from my iPhone 4s using Tapatalk

I'm SUCH a square....
    Looking at the choices you offered, and the suggestions others made, I'd rate them in this order:

1. Trance
    2. Tanuki
    3. Jamis
    4. Sette

The Sette, at 4" travel, is a slightly shorter-bounce version of the old Dakar from 6-7 years ago; suspension design is so close as to be scary. That's not a BAD thing, I got 5-1/2 hard years out of my '05 Dakar XLT. At one time, the Derro was on a short list of frames to build up for my daughter's 16th birthday(!)

I'm on a Kona (Coiler Supreme) right now, and it's the best bike I've ever pedaled! But I rated the Trance above the Kona because of all the raves I've heard about the Maestro suspension design.
    A bike is the only drug with no bad side effects....

SAM
    Sep 2011
    Plenty of great used bikes out there for much cheaper !

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    Just thought I'd share a couple of other full suspension models selling at JensonUSA.com for anyone looking for a NEW full suspension bike for less than $1500. This is for those of us who don't want to buy used:

The 2012 Focus Superbud 4.0 This is a German company, and has a pretty good reputation. The frame design is actually from before 2009, though, as they have updated their frames, but I haven't found a US retailer selling the updated frame model. From the research I have done, while this frame design is slightly outdated, this is still a fast rolling bike, but at over 30 pounds, a little heavy. Also comes in a 2011 model with Fox forks for $1449, also sold at Jenson USA.

Focus Super Bud 4.0 Bike 2012 > Complete Bikes | Jenson USA Online Bike Shop

One thing I wanted to mention is that JensonUSA.com now has a service that assembles and tunes the bike for free before partially disasembling it, putting it back in the box, and shipping it to you. This service alone would cost you $30 - $50 at the local bike store for any other mail order bike that does not do this, so this is a rather nice benefit. Here are a couple of other options to consider:

The Rocky Mountain Element I don't know much about this model. Seems to get good reviews, though. Comes in a standard for $1139 and an upgraded model for just over $1500.

Rocky Mountain Element 10 Bike '12 > Complete Bikes | Jenson USA Online Bike Shop

Diamond Back Sortie Sells for $1365, but seems a little high priced for the components if comes with:

Diamondback Sortie 1 Mountain Bike '12 > Complete Bikes | Jenson USA Online Bike Shop
    Last edited by getagrip; 11-08-2012 at 01:54 PM.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    I too am not sure on what bike I want, I've been looking for a full suspension and I think I've narrowed it down to a couple of bikes;
    The giant trance x3 2013
    Or
    The specialized camber elite 2012

Any views on these ?

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    Just found some really good information on different kinds of full suspension designs from Bike Radar. If you are like me, this article can shed some light on the advantages and disadvantages of the various kinds of designs. The article is divided into three parts, which I've listed below:

Buyer's Guide To Mountain Bike Suspension, Part 1 - BikeRadar

Buyer's Guide To Mountain Bike Suspension, Part 2 - BikeRadar

Buyer's Guide To Mountain Bike Suspension, Part 3 - BikeRadar

Mountain Biker

Trek Roscoe

If you get an earlier model you can pick one up for $1500 or maybe even less?

banned
    Sep 2012
    Just found some really good information on different kinds of full suspension designs from Bike Radar. If you are like me, this article can shed some light on the advantages and disadvantages of the various kinds of designs. The article is divided into three parts, which I've listed below:
    Good educational articles. I did automotive suspension design in engineering school and a lot of that carries over.

What size are you looking at? I got a couple Titus Carbon X frames lying unused (too large for me). Cheap...

-S
    Last edited by shibiwan; 11-27-2012 at 12:28 PM.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    You've go to ask why that Raleigh has been gathering dust for years.

Giant Maestro all the way, even the low level ones. Anthem or Trance.The frames are superb and will take and react to any future upgrades you care to throw at them.

mtbr member
    I would try and get a good price on a 2012 giant trance x4. would be able to get one for under 1500 tax in, if you open to a demo model may be able to do better yet.

my LBS wont even stock the yukon, its just not quite there and for the price difference its well worth going to the trance.

2012 x4
    Trance X 4 (2012) - Bikes | Giant Bicycles | Canada
    2013 x3
    Trance X3 (2013) - Bikes | Giant Bicycles | United States
    yukon
    Yukon FX (2013) - Bikes | Giant Bicycles | United States

The components are alot more competitive on the trances, and the suspension system is supposed to be alot better.
    2012 Giant Reign 1

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    If you have good wrenching skills shop around. If you don't I would recommend considering how good the LBS you are buying from is. I went with Jamis just because the customer service there is exceptional. The manager throws in a lot of freebies and discounts and gives free maintenance above and beyond what other LBSs can and will do. Example: swapped my Elixers for Maguras for free and got me the Maguras at a discount. He also converted my stock tires to tubless for free. I just paid for the supplies. He will be installing my new Monkey Lite bar and platform pedals for free as well (they are in the mail.) He also sold me my saddle for half of what I could find it online.

If you're good at wrenching these little things aren't important, but if you're not those little extras add up.

And in reality when it all comes down to it you'll most likely enjoy your 1000k bike as much as you would a 2000k bike, especially as a new rider. You can upgrade parts as you can afford it if you've got a decent frame. If you even need to upgrade them. I think it's easy to get too hung up on specs.

3diver
    Nov 2012
    I 'll say Giant Trance X4 hands down

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    At $1500, I would probably look for a closeout on Ebay from a bike shop selling last year stock. Just do a search for bikes BTW $1000 - $1500 and see what's out there. Then check the name and cross reference if they are a real shop.

At that pricepoing u *might* be consider buying parts new/used mix and pay someone $100 to build it up. Getting something like a nicely used Titus or Giant frame, then adding on a modest priced fork and SLX drivetrain is very doable.

mtbr member
    Yeah, check your local bike shops. Thinking about buying one I saw today local. 2011 Specialized Camber Expert for $1500. Seemed very nicely equipped for the money: Reba fork, Elixer 5 brakes, etc.

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Just an aside, I just picked a brand new Niner RIP 9 frame and shock, plus a Rockshox Revelation RCT3 fork from Jenson for $1849, just a couple days ago. Essentially, I paid for the frame and got the fork free. Taking my bars, drivetrain, and brakes off my current bike and throwing them on the RIP. As time passes, if I feel the urge, I can upgrade anything I want and I still have a super frame. That is, of course, assuming you are not deadset on a 26er
    Without heroes, we are all plain people, and don't know how far we can go. Bernard Malamud

banned
    Jan 2012
    Don't get an older Fuel, they tend to crack at the seat tube, I ride an '01 Fuel 90 but it didn't crack yet.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Tone's View Post
    Mimi is spot on, the Giant Trance is the best bike out of any mentioned on this page for the money and price your looking at.
    The Raleigh would be a very very poor option imo, i would steer well clear of it, its not half the bike as the Trance.
    Dont cheap out thinking your saving money, 1500bucks is almost cheaping out for a decent full suss, spending the 800 bucks on a HT Raleigh you will be buying a toy in comparison to the Trance.
    There are many decent to good full suspension bikes out there for $1500 (or less). Dont always be in a hurry to push riders to spend more.

If the parts on the Raleigh are to your satisfaction, why not snag a new Mongoose Teocali frame off of Ebay? Highly recommended suspension design (Mountain Bike Action really like the suspension design themselves on the Teocali and the Khyber). I know there'll be plenty of anti-Mongoose snobbery, but just take a look for yourself. Teocali frames can be found for $350-$500 regularly, with a good shock and a great frame.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    BTW, a complete 2011 Mongoose Teocali Comps are $1500-$1600 on ebay and Amazon at this time.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2