mtbr member
    Mar 2009

Best bike shops in Vancouver WA

Hi,

I will be going to Vancouver WA. May I know which are the recommended bike shops that sells XC full suss bikes? Does the shops there have international delivery for the bikes?

Thank you in advance.

There's no app for this.

You can find all the shops

by using Google, and most north American shops don't know how to ship a bike overseas, or for that matter, internationally. there is the occasional shop that does know the ins and outs, but they are the exception rather than the rule.

Find the shop you want to deal with, then figure out how to get it home. Cheapest would be a really large suitcase you can drag onto the 'plane, most expensive will be FedEx or UPS international air freight..you can check their prices on line with their estimator.

Consider tearing the bike down and using multiple bike cartons and miles of duct tape as a travel box, or purchase a bike carrier to take it with you (check your airline's rates 1st, some are reasonable, others are extraordinarily high).

Good luck, Jim

Former Bike Wrench
    Quote Originally Posted by bikefix
    Hi,

I will be going to Vancouver WA. May I know which are the recommended bike shops that sells XC full suss bikes? Does the shops there have international delivery for the bikes?

Thank you in advance.
    Why in the world would you buy a bike in the Couv

Buy a bike in Portland and don't pay sales tax...I recommend Fat Tire Farm, River City Bicycles, or Bike Gallery

Take advantage of the completely retarded tax structure where Oregon taxes the crap out of their residents but doesn't charge a dime for people visiting.

mtbr member
    I second that, there is only one shop in the couv that is worth anything, the Vancouver Cyclery and I would only go there in a pinch. Go to Ptown and go to RiverCity, or Fat Tire farm.

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    Thanks for the reply guys. I did not know that about the sales tax thing, that is really helpful. I am also thinking about how I can get back the US tax refund, since I am a non US citizen, and I am shipping the product overseas.

Regarding the shipping, it really costs a bomb. One of the airline website charges USD200 for bicycles, while FedEx is quoting USD235 for a 30 pound package.

Former Bike Wrench
    FYI-I have sold many bikes to people that lived overseas. One trick we used to do to get around import tarrifs (if that is an issue) is to take the bike out for a ride and artificially get it dirty...then box it back up. Then it would not be taxed like a new product.

Good Luck...go see Tim at the Fat Tire Farm

There's no app for this.

good point and...

I'm no shipping expert but you might check USPS for international shipping, they often have good rates if you are not in a hurry. You could buy your ride from the suggested shop, ride he// out of it, tear it down and box it up well, and ship it slowly back to the UK.

FWIW, as mtnbiker72 says, I've twice bought in Washington State, ridden the bikes 1x in the dirt/mud etc, and brought them back into Canada with 0 hassle and no duties etc.

Good luck, Jim

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    If you bring bike home as one of your 2 check-in luggage, declare it as personal sports equipment and you may not have to pay levies or taxes. The standard bike box meets airlines maximum size. I believe you are allowed 50 lbs per check-in luggage now. A bike in the original bicycle cartoon box should be inside this weight limit. I have done this a couple of times on TransPacific flights. Of course the bike should appear to be used and not packed as clean as a brand new bike.

More than 2 check-in luggage, every excess luggage is $150.

There's no app for this.

good idea but check your carrier...

I got caught on this 1x from Canada to the US...so i checked United airlines. Currently weight limit is 50 lb, but the box must be no larger than 62 linear inches (height + width + length), so a bike box is automatically oversize.

The other thing I learn each time I fly with a bike is that airlines will change the rules at check in, because they either don't know them, don't care, or think bikes are not golf clubs so don't know what to do about the situation. ***Carry a printed copy of the airline baggage rules with you to wave, er, present to doubting airline staff confused by a box. ***

It differs by carrier...that's my point. Jim

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by JimC.
    I got caught on this 1x from Canada to the US...so i checked United airlines. Currently weight limit is 50 lb, but the box must be no larger than 62 linear inches (height + width + length), so a bike box is automatically oversize.

The other thing I learn each time I fly with a bike is that airlines will change the rules at check in, because they either don't know them, don't care, or think bikes are not golf clubs so don't know what to do about the situation. ***Carry a printed copy of the airline baggage rules with you to wave, er, present to doubting airline staff confused by a box. ***

It differs by carrier...that's my point. Jim
    True that... different airline, different rules. 62 inch max is the rule. One time I was queued up at the check-in counter in front of a guy with a surf board and they just had it declared oversized baggage but took it in anyway.

Anyway, what the oversize tag means is that they are not responsible for damage.