mtbr member
    Oct 2007

Best bike (GF Big Sur?) for former BMX/Freestyler

Hi,

I'm trying to narrow down my search for a bike. I was an avid BMXer and freestyler when I was younger (still have my 1991 GT Pro Series I built piece by piece) and used to do a lot of crazy stuff. Like bunny-hopping three garbage cans laying on their sides...or bunny-hop 360s, backwards wheelies, you name it.

Anyways, I'm 6'2" and am looking for a mountain bike to use in the city and off-road. Now, I'm a little older now and have had my share of injuries, so I'm not going to be doing any real hard-core riding. I want something to get around town on, and to take off road, so I'm looking for a mountian bike. But a mountain bike that's nimble, flickable, and easy to bunny-hop, wheelie, etc. I think being able to bunny-hop and clear obstacles is a very useful skill when trying to get around.

I've read about the Gary Fisher Big Sur and it seems to fit the bill for what I'm looking for. In your opinion, would I be happy with this bike, or is there something clearly better our there?

I want:

*A mountain bike that's good for both on-road/in town, but can also be used on the trails
    *A light-weight bike with responsive geometry that's easier than others to bunny-hop
    *A bike that's also reasonably comfortable; I don't like having to lean far forward and being "draped" over the bike

I live in Bellingham, WA which has a lot of hills. From my research, it seems the Big Sur receives positive comments on its ability to climb, so that's an addes bonus.

Thanks in advance for your opinions. I've been away from the biking scene for a while and am looking forward to riding again.

Coastie

mtbr member
    I like the Big Sur. If you can fit onto the 19 inch frame that might be the optimum bike for your height that you could whip around. You might need to lenthen the stem slightly but maybe not. The GF bike has the Genesis geometry which means a slightly longer top tube and its appealing to guys with long torsos. I also like the Fox F100 fork. I think it would be a very versatile bike although dont plan to do a bunch of crazy stuff with it on Galbraith or Whistler.

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    Coastie I rode a Big Sur for four years and am kicking myself for not going with a dual suspenson bike sooner. I now ride a Hi-Fi, which is the G2 geometry but with dual suspension.

Why are you riding? Fun? Fitness? Getting out into the woods?

If I had to do it all over again, I'd have gotten the dual suspension bike from the beginning. I ride far more often, ride much harder, and hurt much less with the dual suspension. Your body doesn't take near as much of a beating. It has made a big difference for me.

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    Thanks for your replies.

To be honest, I was never excited about all the suspension gizmos, toe straps/clip on pedals, bar ends, etc. I saw when mountain biking was becoming more popular. That's probably because I rode without these things for so long and it's hard to adjust, though.

The suspension, in particular, I did not care for. It's hard to explain, but in my limited experience with these bikes, I found it difficult to bunny hop them well. It seemed like the bike was compressing/rebounding beneath me before the tires would even leave the ground. They just didn't feel "snappy."

It seems the better bikes all have suspension forks on them, so I've accepted that fact. Besides, I'm sure it would make a more comfortable ride on the rougher trails but in the city, I can see myself using the lock-out feature.

When I look at the Hi-Fis, I can't help to think that's overkill for what I need. I guess what I'm saying is I want a mountain bike that's a lot like a big BMX bike - something that's much faster to get around with than an adult won't look silly on. That's why the Big Sur interests me - it's supposed to be light with responsive geometry and kind of resembles a big BMX bike. But I don't see it being discussed here, and of course, the LBS doesn't stock that model.

Flying Goat
    i would look into DJ/FR hardtails... Yakuzas, P Bikes, etc...

mtbr member
    something like this sounds like it would be good for you. There are a lot of good bies out there but if you want to bunnyhop, manual and bunnyhop 3 then you need short chainstays.