mtbr member

Best all day trail bike (out of what I like)

so i currently ride a 2006 SC superlight and have no problems with it......but need a little more help on rough descents and the frame is starting to get a little age (plus lost bling factor). i think a 5" 26er or short travel 29er are the families i am shopping in.

me - 180 lbs, 5'8"
    riding - rooty rocky single track, love Pisgah, love to climb rough steep technical. enjoy accomplishing big climbs more than going fast down.....but my buddies gap me on the dh though, so some more stability could help. all day backcountry is my cup of tea.

options $1500-2K budget:

09 Trek Fuel EX 9. spent fair amount of time in the saddle on this bike and it rides great. XO stuff, XT crank, elixir r brakes.....decent 26# build $1500ish. no taper ht or thru axle tho.

2011 Trance X3 - $1900 range, and maybe grab a closeout for $1600ish. maybe then upgrade wheels and crank. wont be close to specs of Fuel for a little more, but will have lbs warranty and lifetime service.

2010 Niner Rip 9 - have a used frame available for around $600. take $1500-2000 piece build together as light as possible. i have no 29er parts currently.

any others im missing?? i know the fuel and trance are similar and the rip 9 is a different animal. will a light rip climb anywhere close to the trance or trek?
    Last edited by iamtylerdurden; 05-16-2011 at 05:56 PM.

rollin
    Oct 2009

1 vote for Trance

I would go with the Giant, but again I am biased. My 09 X3 is def a whole day bike that is good to great on anything you ask of it. I compared a Fuel to the Trance and felt that the Trance was better planted through ascents and held some better lines through the downhill. Again, just an opinion.

As far as the Niner I havent ridden one so the jury is out (little rich for my blood when completely built!)

Cheers,
    Chris

T.W.O.
    They are all my favorite choices I'd go for Trance, but I really like the Rip9. I'm 5'7" and the small fit me well.