mtbr member
    Nov 2008

Bent Dropout on an Aluminum frame

I bought an inexpensive frame from a retailer who specializes in inexpensive stuff. After a couple of months I got around to building up my new commuter, and found that the left dropout on the frame was bent a few degrees, enough to be noticeable and make fitting the wheel a problem, especially with the disc and caliper.

I emailed the seller, they offered to take it back and refund my money. So I tore the frame down, and reboxed it. UPS took it away.

Yesterday I get an email that it's an easy fix, and they're returning the frame.

It's my understanding that aluminum doesn't bend well, and no, you can't just shove it into shape, even a few degrees. Is it safe? Should I take it back? Should I refuse delivery? I'm looking for advice and opinions before I make my next step.

Chris

AZ
    banned
    A few degrees should not be any issue. Aluminum is not that fragile a material and can be bent to a degree.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Depends on the type of Al as well. If it's inexpensive then it seems likely that it's 6061 which is more ductile than the 7005.

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    I'd say: if it's alu 6... series go with it or even try to realign. if it's 7... alloy (scandium) u betters dispose frame or make it a trash bike for ...shopping or fishing