mtbr member
    May 2011

Beginner - TREK 3500 vs. Raleigh Talus 3.0

I am completely brand new to the world of mountain biking ("mountain" used loosely)...actually...biking in general. I bought a couple of bikes yesterday (TREK 3500 and the TREK 820 (for the wife)) but have not picked them up and the LBS sells a couple other bikes to choose from in my price range (<350). We will only be biking on paved bike paths / light trails / occasionally off road for me...probably not the wife.

I had no idea the world of mountain biking can go this deep. There is a big following and would definitely appreciate the help and advice as I do see myself getting very involved in the sport.

QUESTION 1 (I am 5'10" 160 lbs)
    I recently found out that the RALEIGH TALUS 3.0 might be a much better bike than the TREK 3500. Can you guys offer some input and reasons why? Thank you.

http://www.raleighusa.com/bikes/mountain/talus-30-11/

http://www.trekbikes.com/us/en/bikes.../3_series/3500

QUESTION 2 (She is 5'2" 110 lbs)
    Also, if there is a better bike for the wife than the TREK 820 in the same price range, advice will be appreciated. Thanks.

Did I post this question in the wrong section???
    Last edited by cnp112; 05-03-2011 at 07:20 AM.

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    There doesn't appear to be that much difference between the two bikes. With a quick scan, the one difference I saw is that the raleigh comes with double wall wheels, which are stronger and possibly lighter. Either should be fine.

Since your wife won't be riding trails, why choose a mtn bike? A hybrid with 700 wheels and possibly a rigid fork will have the same upright riding position, be much lighter, and much easier for her to ride. It would already have tires suitable for road use and would also be suitable for smooth trails.

Good luck

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Thanks...I did some more research and noticed the following points of interest...

1. The fork on the Raleigh is the suntour xct 100 mm travel versus a suntour m2025 63 mm travel

2. The rear derailleur on the raleigh is a shimano Altus versus a shimano tourney tx31.

3. The wheels on the Raleigh are double walled versus single (???) walled

But I am not sure how important these factors are and whether I should go with the raleigh over the trek. Also, i am not sure what components are better on the trek than the raleigh. Can someone please provide some input?

It seems the components on the Raleigh are better though, and the components on the trek are what we might find on better dept store models (not sure about that statement but I have read it online...hopefully someone will be able to confirm).
    Last edited by cnp112; 05-03-2011 at 06:56 AM.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    can someone please provide some input...i need to make a decision tonight...maybe at the latest tomorrow...thanks...

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    The Raleigh has a bit more travel, but the trek has a 13-34t Shimano Mega Range cassette which is a lower gear than the Raleigh has making it a little easier to go up those steep climbs.There usually isn't a significant difference between entry level bikes., so I'd say just pick the one you like best.

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    They both have freewheels instead of cassettes. Didn't notice the 34t gearing on trek. Notice the big difference between the size of the two largest cogs. The difference in gear ratios between those cogs is so different from the others that it is a pain in the a$$ to use where you have to frequently change gears. I would prefer the raleigh.

mtbr member
    Which one fits you the best?

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Thanks for the opinions and input guys...they both fit good...I'm not too sure what I am supposed to be looking for when I am test riding these bikes...but they both "felt" good...the 19.5 in the trek and the 20 in the Raleigh...

mtbr member
    In my humble opinion go with the Raleigh.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    ^^...i agree with your opinion...it seems the logical choice is the raleigh...so i decided to return the trek and get the raleigh instead...thanks for the input guys...

if anyone else still has additional info / opinions on these bikes...please feel free to share...thanks...

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Congrats on the new bike!! A few years ago my friend bought a Trek 3500 because he wanted to get into biking. The bike served him well for years and he got a lot of use out of it. It worked fine on fireroads, dirt trails, and singletrack in the area. I'm sure you'll enjoy you'll Raleigh. Hope you and the wife have fun biking; I'm currently trying to get my wife into biking more for the spring/summer.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    ^...thanks...we are pretty excited about the bikes...actually...really excited to get out there and start exploring some light trails around our area and gradually surrounding areas as well...hopefully the Raleigh will serve me well until i feel ready to for an upgrade as my biking skills develop...i have noticed that anyone who has owned the trek 3500 rarely has any negative comments...as others have mentioned...at this price point...the difference between both bikes is probably not too significant...they both seem like decent entry level bikes...