~ B A D A S S ~

BB7 cables, big difference?

Hi I havea a question about cables for BB7 brakes. Is there a big difference between the Gore, Goodridges, Fibrax, XTR, SRAM, Jagwires and whatever?

Which one gives the most solid and silky smooth hydro type feel?

Are XT/XTR brake levers compatible with BB7s? Why should I get Avids instead of Shimanos or the other way around?
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.

Quote Originally Posted by iheartbicycles View Post
    Specialized sucks ass.

~ B A D A S S ~
    Can this be moved to the brake forum, I posted it in the wrong forum, sorry!
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.

Specialized sucks ass.

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Quote Originally Posted by car bone
    Hi I havea a question about cables for BB7 brakes. Is there a big difference between the Gore, Goodridges, Fibrax, XTR, SRAM, Jagwires and whatever?

Are XT/XTR brake levers compatible with BB7s? Why should I get Avids instead of Shimanos or the other way around?
    The cables and housings that are setup correctly--full length, smooth routing (no tight bends), clean square housing ends--work the best.

Can not really feel like a hydro brake as it is not a hydro. My BB7s generally have a smooth operation and a lighter feel than hydros.

The Shimano levers are fine.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

mtbr member
    Avid speed dial levers would give you better modulation. IMHO

Bicyclochondriac.
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by car bone

I have not used all of those, but I have always been very happy with Jagwire Ripcords. Resonably priced, too. Very solid feel.
    15mm is a second-best solution to a problem that was already solved.

~ B A D A S S ~
    I appreciate all your answers!! Just so you know.

While I like hydros, the ones I have tested (hayes, shimano, avids and probably some more) are nice and such, they are a ***** to get working properly imo. So I figured mechs would be simpler or more consistent, or at least I wont stand there as a fool one day and its not working (which has happened) since its only a wire and nothing can go that wrong with a wire. I just want the most smooth and soft but solid feel of the brakes (like hydros).

Specialized sucks ass.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    None will feel like hydros. However, with SD levers and Jagwire ripcords, they do have a nice feel to them. Very little "cable stretch" feel.