mtbr member
    Feb 2004

New question here. Azonic Sabre vs. Banshee Chaparral

I am thinking about getting a new frame, does anyone have one of these frames?. Which one is better, according to price vs. function?

Cheers!

Virus
    Quote Originally Posted by Sogamuxi
    I am thinking about getting a new frame, does anyone have one of these frames?. Which one is better, according to price vs. function?

Cheers!
    I'm actually considering those two myself. If you're concerned with the warranty, the Banshee's got Azonic beat hands down (10 years vs. 2 years, I think). I think the Banshee is going to be able to take more abuse, too.

The Chaparral costs a bit more, but I think you're getting some pretty good quality from them, and, based on the emails I've gotten from them, the guys at Banshee are pretty knowledgeable and dedicated. On the other hand, if it matters to you, the Saber has the FSR rear, which gets pretty good reviews. It seems to be more of a trailbike, and less into the beating that the Chaparral is into.

I personally would put the Banshee above the Saber, but I think it is a bit close. The Saber owners were posting pretty heavily in favor of their bikes over on the old boards. I haven't heard much from the Chaparral owners, though.

Not much help, I know. I'm sort of in the same boat as you. . . .

mtbr member
    I own a Saber, which is built into a very capable trail-, all-mountain bike. It mostly stays in the 5" travel setting, but I take it jumping and stunt riding too. If you do a search in the older forum I posted it there. The goal was to have 1 bike for everything I ride and I'm very happy with it. I haven't had any quality issues with it all and it rides great. There are some reports of chainstays breaking on them though.
    The one Banshee Chaparral that I've seen was built for the jump park and skills park- definitely freeriding. The frame looked MUCH beefier than the Saber, I'm sure the weight of the frame and shock is MUCH higher too, but I don't know for sure because the whole bike was built heavier from wheels to cranks.
    I think go-ride.com sells both of them and could figure out which one is for you with a short phonecall.

mtbr member
    Sep 2003

May I can help you

I bought a Banshee Chparral 2 weeks ago. And I'm pretty satisfied.

For background: I come from cross-country racing and my passion went to trailriding and freeriding more and more. In the area I live we have mountains like Vermont has. So I have to pedal hills up before I can ride down the nice trails and that a couple times. I like technical trails and to go to bikeparks once in a while.

Back to the frame. I have it with a Vanilla RC and this set up works fine. The wheelbase keeps it on track without losing agility. The position is in the centre of the bike, so you feel save on it. Well the weigth is about 4,5 kg for the frame! I won't care about the next drops. I cannot brake the frame, that's for sure!
    I had contact with the canadian guys, too. And they are very dedicated.

Hope I could help you a bit. Otherwise just ask me in two weeks, may be I can tell you more?

Hang Loose

Jan

Uhhhhh...
    Quote Originally Posted by Sogamuxi

Cheers!

If you want more of a FR "North Shore" bike go for the Chap but if you want more of a trailbike/FR bike Saber. Also look at the Transition Dirtbag, i think it lays between the two frames maybe leaning towards FR. http://www.transitionbikes.com/DirtBag.cfm

-TS
    Fayetteville, AR and N.W.A RePrEsEnT