Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Assembling 26" Santa Cruz LTc 2012

3K views 25 replies 5 participants last post by  mimi1885 
#1 ·
Hi Guys

I'm a newbie here, I'm 31 years old with 5 Feet 9 Inch height with a weight 190 pound, after a year of riding HT Specialized StumpJumper M5 2012 now I have just placed an order on used 26" Red Santa Cruz Blur LTc 2012 "M" sized from EBay. I want to move my current set up from M5 as much as possible to save cash which include:

- 3x10 SRAM XO trigger shifter
- 3x10 SRAM XO crankset 175 pressfit bb30
- 3x10 SRAM XO front derailleur low clamp top pull
- SRAM XO rear derailleur long cage
- SRAM XO Hydrolic Disc Brake Set Front 7" - Rear 6"
- SRAM XG-1080 Cassette
- SRAM PowerChain 1091R
- Ritchey Superlogic Carbon Oversized Riser Handlebar
- Ritchey Superlogic Carbon 100mm. Stem
- Ritchey SuperLogic Carbon seatpost OneBolt 350mm x 27.2 diameter
- Specialized body geometry phenom saddler
- Seat Binder 31.8 Clamp Size
- Easton EA90 XC 26"
- RockShox Reba RL Tapered Alloy Steerer 90MM

Here is my question,

- From the above mentioned stuff. Can anyone please advise me what I can use with my new Santa Cruz Blur LTc?

- Any part that I can't use, please advise the type that I'll need.

Thank You Everyone :rolleyes:

PS: As a newbie, I would like to give all you guys a little small gift. I've created a Santa Cruz Blur LTc wallpaper for my computer and saw it for about 6 months (while collecting the money) now my dream is about to come true. Maybe any of you would like it, so better than keep it alone I would like to share it here. It's 1600 x 900 ;)

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
A 90mm Reba might be too little suspension for an LTc. Most people are running them between 140mm and 160mm.

You will also need a high clamp, top pull front derailleur.

Also, the BB30 cranks won't work on your frame, unless you buy a BSA to BB30 conversion bottom bracket. Zipp makes one, as does Rotor. About $90, if I remember correctly. This will allow you to run BB30 cranks on your BSA frame. Search "Rotor BSA 30 Road Bottom Bracket". Road = MTB; they work the same, and ARE the same.

#4 ·
No, that is not the correct adapter. That will take you from PF30 to BSA. The exact opposite of what you want.

As I said, searching for BSA to BB30 Bottom Bracket will yield something like this:
Rotor BSA 30 Road Bottom Bracket - Competitive Cyclist

Yes, you need a tapered fork, as your frame has a tapered headtube. Do you have a headset for it yet?

No, you cannot modify the FD.

#6 ·
No, that is not the correct adapter. That will take you from PF30 to BSA. The exact opposite of what you want.

As I said, searching for BSA to BB30 Bottom Bracket will yield something like this:
Rotor BSA 30 Road Bottom Bracket - Competitive Cyclist

Yes, you need a tapered fork, as your frame has a tapered headtube. Do you have a headset for it yet?

No, you cannot modify the FD.
Thank You so Much

However from the adapter price I think I better sell my current SRAM XO 3x10 BB30 crankset and get a new SRAM XO 3x10 GXP crankset (is that right one?) I've calculate, it will be just almost the same amount of money to spent.

I don't yet have any headset for it, do u have any good recommendation?

#5 ·
If it's Blur LTc, it need direct mount front derailleur, not anything with the clamp. Also needs seatpost with 30.9 mm tube diameter. Will definitely replace the fork with something that has at least 140 mm of travel - as other said above.

Btw - I am 5'10", ride L Blur LTC and can't imagine riding a medium one. You sure it's the right size ?

#7 ·
Thank u so much K_Z

According to your advise, I've just place a purchased order on this one

SRAM X0 3 x 10 High Direct Mount Dual Pull Front Derailleur

****************1e5YFvE

According to Santa Cruz website, 5 feet 9 inch matched size M but 5 feet 10 inch can use either M or L

Santa Cruz Bicycles BLURLT CARBON

Hope it's the right size I choosed.

Seat post is another issue, but the seller has a remote seatpost attached with the frame, is that good or should be replaced?

#8 ·
You don't need a tapered fork, you can run either a straight 1 1/8 or a tapered fork. I would suggest a tapered fork though. If you do not run a tapered fork then you'll definitely want a 150mm fork. If you do run a tapered then I would run a 140mm if you ride some tight trails or climb a lot. Other than that I really like the frame at 150mm.

#10 ·
This is the fork that I'm thinking to purchase, I've recieved best offer from the seller $995. Is that the right price? Or do you guys have any better place to buy?

2014 New Fox Talas 140 ctd Remote 32 15mm Axle Tapered Steerer | eBay

Another trouble I've found so far is the crankset, I've recieved a message from the seller tell me that the bottom bracket of this LTc is 73mm. So I'm not sure weather SRAM XO 3x10 GXP will be the right crankset or not?

New SRAM Truvativ XO GXP 175mm 22 32 44 3x10 Speed MTB Crankset Crank Black Red | eBay

Or getting a ceramic adapter for my current BB30 crankset is a better choice?

Rotor BSA30 Ceramic Bottom Brackets BSA Frame to BB30 | eBay

i do really needs suggestion please ;-)

#12 ·
I wouldn't personally opt for a Talas especially one at 140mm. The frame climbs excellent with a 140mm fork so there isn't any real need to drop to the 110mm that the Talas offers. Unless you're climbing very steep technical hills constantly.

I would go with something like a 150mm fox float, 150mm rockshox revelation rct3 or a white brother loop 150mm. Which can all be very easily adjusted down to 140mm if you wanted to. If you can run a 15mm front axle then you could also look at the new 150mm rockshox pike. You can not alter the travel at all but it weights less than .5lbs more than the above forks and is a better product overall for the money.

If it was me I wouldn't spend $200 on an adapter to run your $200ish crankset on. I would sell the crankset for $200-250 and then buy a used 68/73mm gxp version in good condition for the same amount. I just don't see the equity in the adapter.

At your height on that frame I'd guess you'll be in the 70-90mm range for stems so I would buy a couple of cheap $15 stems off ebay to help you fit the bike. Assuming you don't have some already as I don't think that 100mm stem off the specialized will be your ultimate choice.

You should also confirm with the seller but he does not list the dropper post as part of the included items for the frame.

Finally, for your reference on headsets. If you do not go with a tapered fork then you'll need a ZS44/ZS49 combination. If you DO go with a tapered headset then you'll need a ZS44/EC49 combination.

#15 ·
I wouldn't personally opt for a Talas especially one at 140mm. The frame climbs excellent with a 140mm fork so there isn't any real need to drop to the 110mm that the Talas offers. Unless you're climbing very steep technical hills constantly.

I would go with something like a 150mm fox float, 150mm rockshox revelation rct3 or a white brother loop 150mm. Which can all be very easily adjusted down to 140mm if you wanted to. If you can run a 15mm front axle then you could also look at the new 150mm rockshox pike. You can not alter the travel at all but it weights less than .5lbs more than the above forks and is a better product overall for the money.
After I have read you advise, I've started looking for RockShox and I have to say that you gave me a great advise. The revelation and pike are much better choice as compare to Fox Talas, Today I'll go to our local RockShox dealer for further assistance.

If it was me I wouldn't spend $200 on an adapter to run your $200ish crankset on. I would sell the crankset for $200-250 and then buy a used 68/73mm gxp version in good condition for the same amount. I just don't see the equity in the adapter.
So GXP is the right version, umm ok I'll try to look for some used XO crankset if possible else I have no other choice but getting a new set.

At your height on that frame I'd guess you'll be in the 70-90mm range for stems so I would buy a couple of cheap $15 stems off ebay to help you fit the bike. Assuming you don't have some already as I don't think that 100mm stem off the specialized will be your ultimate choice.
My current stem is 90mm I'll give it a try, if it's not fit me well then I might go to some bicycle shop to do a fitment on me for a perfect matched stem

You should also confirm with the seller but he does not list the dropper post as part of the included items for the frame.
It is included, I have double checked as your suggestion. ;-)

Finally, for your reference on headsets. If you do not go with a tapered fork then you'll need a ZS44/ZS49 combination. If you DO go with a tapered headset then you'll need a ZS44/EC49 combination.
I wanna let you know that I am very much appreciate for all the information you gave me, honestly I do feel a warm welcome from this community because all of you guys tried alot on helping me solved all the problem.

Thank You Again Guys

#22 ·
I have the BLTC, no tab. The only blur I know that has ISCG tab is the TR or TRc, that's the 125mm slope style one. May be the statement was true until they actually name the model. In any event no on the BLTC. The good news is you don't really need it or you can use the adapter. It's XCish feel than a few other 140mm bikes I've own and try I don't see the need for a full on guide system.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.