mtbr member
    Jul 2010

Apples to oranges 2011 Trek Utopia or 2007 Trek 8000

So i'm riding 80% street right now, the rest actually on trails. Half the time on the street I'm towing my son around in his chariot.

It's been ten years since i've bought a bike. Right now I'm trying to decide between two bikes. I feel I don't know enough about components or new bikes at all to know if the used one is a good deal or not. I really don't know if I need an 8 series trek for what I do, but I love high end stuff. And that fact it was a $2000 bike.

So the 2007 Trek 8000 is $1000 canadian, one owner barely used. Comes with two sets of tires.

The 2011 Trek Utopia is $872
    http://www.trekbikes.com/ca/en/bikes..._sport/utopia/

I know the bikes are in a different class. The new utopia is all I need until my son grows up and (hopefully) we can get into riding like I use to be. But I feel the 8 series trek is way better value. Thoughts?

Apr 2007
    Holy crap, that guy bought too big of a bike for himself.

Anyway, you need a 29er, because by the time your son grows up, 26" will be obsolete! My question is, why spend $800 or $1000 for something a $2-300 used bike can handle? There are literally pages of good enough bikes on my local craigslist that will suit your needs for 1/4 of the price you're looking to pay. Or even browsing the classifieds here, you will find something that is better priced and MUCH COOLER!!

But if you HAVE to have one of those, I'd say the Trek 8000, only because the "dual-sport" Utopia is crap. But at $1000, that Trek is over-priced.

mtbr member
    The 8 series is a WAY better bike. Grab it if it fits.

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    Thanks for the reply guys

I started considering a full on road hybrid, but our roads are worse then some trails, I have gravel on my commute and two valleys (rugged trail). I also will jump off platforms and wheelie when bored.

Where I live the selection of used bikes is horrible. So it's buy new or buy something 10 years old for $100.

This bike just came up for $900

Really don't think I need a full suspension bike though. I think the 8 series hardtail might be a better buy anyhow? I more or less looking to get the highest end bike for around the $1000 mark.

Are the components on that 2007 8 series still decent? Or is it somewhat dated?
    A new trek 6000 disc sells for $999 Is the older 8 series still a better bike?

mbtr member
    the components on the 8 are substantially better than anything else you've posted. The fuel only has the less xc-oriented geo going for it.

Did you know that other companies make bikes? It may expand your options.

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    I thought Trek was the only bike company in the world, and Ford was the only auto maker, that's wrong?

Of course I realize there are other bikes out there. The LBS that I deal with carries trek. Like I mentioned, used market is terrible out here. Those two trek bikes are the only thing decent, unless I want a walmart special. Those two trek bikes are 5 hours away to boot.

The other dealer I would consider carries Rocky Mountain and Kona.

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    Ok, so the guy with the 8000 series is willing to come down on price. What is this bike worth? He figures he has about 800 miles of light riding on the bike. Never been off and drops or jumps. I'd like to make him an offer.

mtbr member
    i think the trek 8000 is over priced
    i choose mountain bikeing because i cant aford an engine

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    What's a fair price to offer the guy with the 8 series?

Vigilante Trail Groomer
    Jul 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Geoff240ti
    What's a fair price to offer the guy with the 8 series?

Stick $500 in his face.

Let him smell it.....hold it.

Keep handing him $20 bills until he says you have a deal.....but no more than $650ish.

That bike does have good components on it and if you add it all up ala cart you'll come in WAY over $800.

Don't let the Trek haters disuade you.... I have A 2002 Trek Fuel SLR I've been riding almost daily for 5 years with no problems.

And the components aren't as good as whats on that 8000....well except for the Thomson seatpost and WTB seat.