mtbr member
    Jun 2009

Anyone try using vinyl wrap on their bicycle?

I was wondering if this might work or not.

banned
    Aug 2012
    Got a link ?

T.W.O.
    What for? frame protection or bling?

Registered text offender
    Dec 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by mimi1885 View Post
    What for? frame protection or bling?
    Both I would wager. The fellow who made my DUC32 stickers does vinyl wraps on autos and RVs as his primary bread and butter. He has a product he uses on street bikes made to protect against chips and scratches. I bet he could do some wild looking graphics that would be durable, I would have to ask what he would charge for something like that.

T.W.O.

Anyone try using vinyl wrap on their bicycle?

I can see that but it's kinda heavy compare to the 3m clear. We did the vinyl wrap on our company car a small door section was quite heavy.

Jon, what kind of decal you have on your duc32. Do you mind pm the pic to me, thanks.

Sent from my iPhone 4s using Tapatalk

Registered text offender
    Dec 2011
    Mimi, I'll try to work it out as I'm still figuring out my new phone, but in the mean time I have some pics of them up in the Maverick section.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by roc865 View Post
    I was wondering if this might work or not.
    Its funny that you asked this question because just today I was toying with the idea of painting my new carbon seat post white like I did my stock one. I wasnt to crazy about doing this though. Then it dawned on me to just wrap it in white vinyl! It wont affect the carbon if anything it will protect it and I can remove it whenever. Only gonna wrap the exposed part though so it doesnt affect it going into the frame.

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    I've done cut vinyl on my bike. To do a wrap you'll want something high end like 3M ControlTac with an over laminate to protect the graphics. If its just white that wont be necessary and you can use white cast vinyl. I work with several brands and I find 3M to be usually the best quality. It removes clean in most cases so you don't have to use an aggressive remover in order to get the adhesive off. (Trust me that can be a real nightmare.) What your probably looking for is a tougher over laminate to protect the vinyl. That means the lam would be thicker. It's also not that easy to lay vinyl (ControlTac is designed for car wraps so its usually much easier to lay without bubbling and creasing) I'd worry about more complex surfaces such as where the frame parts join together.

In regards to the seat post you won't be able to drop it once the vinyl is on but I assume your not planing on doing that. I'd do 3M cast in white for that. Any local sign shop would have products like that. A small piece of vinyl shouldn't cost much at all if its a solid color.

-dx

Just Ride!
    Quote Originally Posted by digktialx View Post
    I've done cut vinyl on my bike. To do a wrap you'll want something high end like 3M ControlTac with an over laminate to protect the graphics.
    Can you recommend a brand and color code that best matches Niner Hot Tamale?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Anyone try using vinyl wrap on their bicycle?-carbonfork_tamale.jpg  

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by kustomz View Post
    Can you recommend a brand and color code that best matches Niner Hot Tamale?
    From best to least from what I can see without having the actual product. You can also go into any signshop such as Signarama, Fastsigns, etc and ask to see a vinyl book which would be similar to a paint book. They most likely will not let you take the book so best bring something to match the chip to.

1) Oracal #367 "Red Metallic"
    2) 3M #180C-203 "Red Metallic"
    3) Avery #SC 900-440-M "Red"

The Oracal has a bit more "tomato red" then the other two. I think the near perfect match would have been Avery "Garnet Red Luster" but they discontinued that vinyl a few years ago.

-dx

Just Ride!
    Quote Originally Posted by digktialx View Post
    2) 3M #180C-203 "Red Metallic"
    -dx
    3M looks to be a good enough match. Thanks - dx.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    It's a bicycle not an object of art. A well used bike should look well used. If you have enough time on your hands to search out vinyl wrap and then install it on your bike you have wasted precious time that you could have spent riding it.

Just Ride!
    I guess you are not a fan of NAHBS either then? The snow is too deep to ride and the gravel roads are covered with ice, so searching for vinyl is a lot better than some of the things I could be doing right now. ;-)

Rock and/or Roll
    Dec 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Saddle Up View Post
    It's a bicycle not an object of art. A well used bike should look well used. If you have enough time on your hands to search out vinyl wrap and then install it on your bike you have wasted precious time that you could have spent riding it.
    My bikes are beautiful objects of useable art. Sorry if yours are not, or you don't think of them other than utility tools.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by turbogrover View Post
    My bikes are beautiful objects of useable art. Sorry if yours are not, or you don't think of them other than utility tools.
    +1. This is why there are so many options for bikes. Color and appearance is a big factor for many folks. It doesn't mean we aren't enjoying the bike as well. Quite the opposite. When i get a new part or change the color on something, i can't wait to get on the trails and show it off.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Yes, I used the 3M vinyl wrap. I have an all blacked out stealth road bike and the only silver part was the front derailleur. I really wanted to continue using it, but wanted it to be black so I used the 3M stuff to make my own black part. Works beautifully.

I just bought the black gloss and metallic red samples from Ebay to make my own matching decals for my new unbranded mountain bike. Going to print out my own stencils from what I create on my computer then just cut out the letters out of the 3M and Voila!

Best part, the decals will double for paint chip protection. Definitely going to make decals for the underside of the bike to protect it.