mtbr member
    Apr 2007

Anyone see this before?

So I'm cleaning my bike last night, take it off the rack and immediately notice a loud series of cracking noises when I turned my handle bar to the left and right, strange new cracking sound… great! Inspect the head tube and found the weld attaching the head tube & down tube to be literally lined with cracks.

Looking for some perspective/thoughts and if this has happened to anyone else. Bummed!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by chestercospinner; 09-16-2009 at 11:25 AM.

Ride Responsibly
    Looks more like scratches to me. Have you tried to stress the pipes to see if anything opens?
    Maybe you washed the grease out of the headset?

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Forward those good close up photos to the frame manufacture. See what they say, if they are all at serious about building good bikes I am sure they will at least want to see it and be interested in it.

Ologist
    Is that your merlin? Strange pattern for scratches but they dont look like they are deep enough to have form from the weld.

the catalan connection
    Never seen this before. They donīt look like cracks in the alum weld to me...they are too superficial as far as I can tell from the pics.Yet, they do look like cracks in some spots like the contact edge of the weld with the down tube...mmm. Sorry I canīt contribute much. Whatever it is Its a quality issue the manufacturer should take care of for sure. Weird indeed.
    "Blessed is the man who, having nothing to say, abstains from giving us wordly evidence of the fact." George Elliot

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by chestercospinner
    So I'm cleaning my bike last night, take it off the rack and immediately notice a loud series of cracking noises when I turned my handle bar to the left and right, strange new cracking sound… great!
    Have you figured out the cause of the cracking sound?

I can't offer any insight on whether those marks on the weld are cracks or scratches

mtbr member
    Could be cracks in the paint only, due to flex in the frame, but i would have it checked out to be safe.