mtbr member
    Mar 2010

Smile Anyone ever put dirt bike style seats on their dirt jump/downhill bikes?

I'm just learning about mountain bikes, about to buy my first, coming from a dirtbike background. I was wondering if anyone puts dirt bike style seats on their mountainbikes. I know it wouldn't be good for a crosscountry bike or something that you have to pedal, however for something like a downhill bike, that you don't pedal much, or a dirt jumper that you rarely sit down on, it seems like an awesome idea to me. That way if you are sitting on your downhill bike you could scoot forward or back to shift your weight, or on a dirt jumper if you come down with the frame between your legs you'd land on a cushioned.

The dirt jumpers are the ones that concern me the most. I skateboard quite a bit and see guys at the skateparks on their dirt jumper mountainbikes, and although its awesome to watch them, their whole seat setup just makes me cringe. They usually have it slammed to the very bottom with the nose pointing up, leaving a tiny little one inch area between the wheel and the seat just waiting to suck in anything it can. They go off big jumps, and come down hard enough that often I swear they hit their little comrades on that tire. I cringe thinking of the thought of coming down hard and landing on that tire, and the tire just rolling everything it can grab into that little spot. Might as well just dangle your jewels over a blender. I've asked them if it happens and they say yes, and it hurts for days. Not to mention that, but also the way that seat tip is pointing so high north, its as if its just waiting to violate them next time they land a little too forward.

So why not replace that bicycle seat with a dirt bike style seat, that way it doesn't matter as much if they land a little forward, or back, or hit hard, at least their jewels will have a little cushioning. You could also put sort of a rear fender over the tire so that if you do slam your backside down hard on the tire, at least it will just hit the fender, and won't have to worry about the wheel sucking everything up into that torturous looking area behind the seat. Does anyone ever do that, or anything similar? Seems a lot friendlier for someone who wants to have a family.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    I haven't seen it, and it seems like a bad idea to me. You don't really want your weight as far forward on a mountain bike as you do on a motorcycle.

Some guys point their saddles up to make it easier to get behind the rear wheel, others go a little far, I think they like the way it looks. As for fenders, it would take a very strong fender to protect you from the rear wheel. If you slam down on it, it is going to be painful, fenders or not.

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    Tioga used to make a rather large seat for DH'ing some years ago. Just odd looking though.
    Oldest daughter doesn't ride, she fights MMA.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Ya mean like the Banana seat of years ago? Have been thinking of that for quite awhile.

Some had shocks...alright, springs.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by 1niceride
    Ya mean like the Banana seat of years ago? Have been thinking of that for quite awhile.

Some had shocks...alright, springs.

http://motorbicycling.com/attachment...ikebanseat.jpg

Full out moto.

http://www.vincenttully.com/images/bike-mx80.jpg
    Last edited by southernfriedg8r; 03-18-2010 at 10:12 PM.

mtbr member
    I wondered the same thing when I switched from motos to mountainbikes. I was used to changing my center of gravity by sliding backwards and forwards on the seat. While many of the skills I had acquired from a short lifetime of riding dirtbikes translated well into mountainbike (particularly in more aggressive riding) this one in particular did not. Despite the many and complex gyrations dirt jumpers and downhillers execute on their bikes, my highly subjective observation is that the body english input required for bicycles is much more subtle (considering a bicycle weighs about 200 lbs less than a dirt bike and most humans are good for about 1.2 hp max v. 40hp or so for a dirtbike). I had to focus on more precise, isolated body movements. Focusing movement around my hips helped a lot, rather than jerking my whole body around. James Wilson at www.bikejames.com helped me tremendously.

But you are by no means the first to entertain such an idea. I know Brooklyn Machine Works built something that was basically like an 80 minus the motor sometime in the late '90's I believe. And if you are still affixed to big seat idea, I have one of those TIoga Multi-Control XL seats with only a few rides on it....

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    That second picture was awesome. I had seen dept store bikes that had looked like that, I never knew they made actual quality versions of them. I wonder why they aren't popular?