mtbr member

Any trial people out there? Thinking about making a MC SA into a trial bike.

Hey MTBR, a trials forum around here would be nice. A lot of people use MTB's for trials and it would bring more trafic here.

Ok, this requires an open mind. I have a chance to pick up an early Mountain Cycle San Andreas like mine in the picture. It has a damaged seat assembly. And when I took off the seat assembly off mine, I saw a seatless trials bike. So, I was thinking for chits and giggles it would be fun to slap on some 20" trials wheels (if they will between the vbrake mounts, 24" will fit), slap on, trials stem, bar, make it a 1x9 and have some fun. I know it would be far from the perfect trials bike, but I think it would be fun and a good way to improve my bike skills. The only thing that would bother me would be the upper shock/seat assembly bracket on my nut sack. But it's really low and I could wear padded lycra under my shorts. So, what do you think? Any advice would be appreciated.

'96 San Andreas
    '12 SC Nickel LT
    Incoming: 2008 Lotus Exige S 240
    '12 Toy FJ TT
    '05 Cooper S
    '95 Honda HB Si
    '71 Dino 246 GT

Mantis, Paramount, Campy
    Ditch the rear shock for an aluminum or steel rod.
    Ditch the suspension fork for something rigid...probably steel would be safest.
    I wouldn't go smaller than 24" wheels if smaller. You'll be dropping the BB a bunch and that will limit obstacle clearing.

mtbr member
    I think I would break the frame with a steel rod. These have a high BB already and I could go with 160mm cranks, and a small chain ring. I'm not looking for perfection, just something fun to play with.
    '96 San Andreas
    '12 SC Nickel LT
    '12 Toy FJ TT
    '05 Cooper S
    '95 Honda HB Si
    '71 Dino 246 GT

AZ
    banned
    The rear suspension is going to soak up energy otherwise used to clean obstacles, do hops etc.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by AZ.MTNS
    The rear suspension is going to soak up energy otherwise used to clean obstacles, do hops etc.
    Could I run some fast rebound and use that to help me clear stuff? kinda like a pogo stick. I won't be hopping large stuff, it's not like I'll be jumping up on cars.
    '96 San Andreas
    '12 SC Nickel LT
    '12 Toy FJ TT
    '05 Cooper S
    '95 Honda HB Si
    '71 Dino 246 GT

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Mountain Cycle Shawn
    I think I would break the frame with a steel rod. These have a high BB already and I could go with 160mm cranks, and a small chain ring. I'm not looking for perfection, just something fun to play with.
    Right on the steel rod. It will sheer the upper shock mount right off.

AZ
    banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Mountain Cycle Shawn
    Could I run some fast rebound and use that to help me clear stuff? kinda like a pogo stick. I won't be hopping large stuff, it's not like I'll be jumping up on cars.

I suppose it could work if you could get rid of all the rebound damping, a cheap coil over might be easier to work with.

mtbr member
    I have two Stratos Helix Pro shocks. It's and air and coil shock with very adjustable rebound and short travel. I'm thinking I can run the coil and air on the stiff side and the rebound in the fast side.
    '96 San Andreas
    '12 SC Nickel LT
    '12 Toy FJ TT
    '05 Cooper S
    '95 Honda HB Si
    '71 Dino 246 GT

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    He didn't use the seat either...
    http://vimeo.com/20601448