mtbr member
    Jul 2007

Any suggestions?

I'm totally lost.

I'm currently riding a SuperCycle XTI-21DS. I honestly have very few complaints about the bike. It's taken ALOT of abuse, and I've put almost 3,000km on it.

But, it's only a 21" bike, and on the longer rides my knees start to hurt from the poor posture. So I seriously need to get a new bike.

The riding I do is mostly road/pathways. The pathways are really poor in condition most of the time, and I have to hop alot of curbs to get to these pathways, so I think that rules out a road bike, since It'd probably break it. I love the direct feel that I get when pushing hard on a no-suspension bike, but I hear a new, decent Full-Suspension bike wouldn't feel as squishy as my SuperCycle. Is that the route to take? or would a hard-tail better suited?

I've been on the newb end of cycling for a long time, I'm trying to become a more hardcore cyclist, so if you need any clarification because my description sucks, or more information, let me know.

I'm 5'10" and 150lbs.

Thanks in advance.

mtbr member
    May 2008

Perhaps a hard tail is better for you...

SuperCycle XTI-21DS is a Y-frame suspension; this design had been out dated for a long time, probably mainly because of its power wasting when pushing the pedal.

When riding on the pavement, I alway prefer non-suspension bikes, and rode bike is much better for summer commuting.

Perhaps a hardtail is better for you.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    I absolutely love the fact that you replied only 10day short of a year later. That's wicked. I definately appreciate the advice. I still ride my SuperCycle, actually. Taco'd the rear rim a few weeks ago taking a 4ft drop onto flat pavement.

I'm mostly decided on a hardtail. Maybe a Trek 3900/4500 with some 1.5inch slicks.