mtbr member
    Feb 2004

any opignion about BALFA belair would be apreciate

Im about to buy a BALFA belair 2003 (frame/shox only) which is at this time the perfect bike to me:tough,compact,fit my size and considering that is an xc bike it (look) nuke proof.The second point is more about the price the deal would be 1500$ can tx incl,do u think it a good deal?The last point is about the usage,my choice is stop on the belair caus i like to pedal the much as my body/brain can do it but also caus i look for a multiple usage bike to handle "downhill type riding" and suport respectable drop (5-8 feet IF i feel the thing wont brake between my legs) So that about it feel free to say anything u think about.

thx

http://www.balfa.com
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by fullfury
    Im about to buy a BALFA belair 2003 (frame/shox only) which is at this time the perfect bike to me:tough,compact,fit my size and considering that is an xc bike it (look) nuke proof.The second point is more about the price the deal would be 1500$ can tx incl,do u think it a good deal?The last point is about the usage,my choice is stop on the belair caus i like to pedal the much as my body/brain can do it but also caus i look for a multiple usage bike to handle "downhill type riding" and suport respectable drop (5-8 feet IF i feel the thing wont brake between my legs) So that about it feel free to say anything u think about.

thx

http://www.balfa.com
    I rode a Belair for XC/Trail rides last season. It is a very tough frame. IMO it is way overbuilt for XC. It only has 4.5" of travel so its DH capability isn't the greatest, but it does have good tire clearance. Running a big 2.3 - 2.5 tire would make this bike a much better descender.

PS: Go-ride.com has a complete Belair (brand new) for sale for $1495 US. That's about $1990 CAN, but you get a complete bike. Here's a link: Belair Sale.
    Scott @ GO-RIDE.com
    Turner DHR
    Pivot Mach 6
    Giant Anthem 27.5
    Salsa Bear Grease C
    Lil Shredder 20" - son's

mtbr member
    I really like my Belair and Scott is right it can accept a 2.35 or 2.4 tire in the rear - wider tires than you could run on say a Blur frame.

It is a very well built frame and could be built up really light if you so desire for pure XC or it could be set up burlier and serve as a short travel light freeride bike.

All in all it's a great frame!

conjoinicorned
    if you want to do a lot of drops 5-8', then try and get a 2step for a similar price (got mine for 1800 in montreal). they can be built fairly light, pedal fantastic, and will take infinite abuse.
    the belair is still super stout and very nice as well.
    what would rainbow unicorn do?

mtbr member
    Yes, if you are a skilled rider and do plan bigger drops (5 to 8 feet as you state) I'd look at the 2Step FR frame set over the Belair.

But if you want a more XC oriented frame that can handle smaller drops then I'd say the Belair is the ticket (a couple of pounds lighter and maybe even then some)

Balfa builds their frames strong - so durability should not be a concern whatsoever.

mtbr member
    Can anyone comment on whether Balfa will be around with a lineup on 2005? There's been much talk of closures recently, so it would be good for prospective buyers to know if they can get stuff like deraileur hangers and specialized parts down the road. Can any of the Balfa reps or sponsored riders shed some light on this?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by islander
    Can anyone comment on whether Balfa will be around with a lineup on 2005? There's been much talk of closures recently, so it would be good for prospective buyers to know if they can get stuff like deraileur hangers and specialized parts down the road. Can any of the Balfa reps or sponsored riders shed some light on this?
    Balfa is running the full 2004 production run - plans for a 2005 run of Balfa bikes has not yet been determined by Procycle.

Procycle is moving Balfa into it's main plant in Quebec and the first run of 2004s will be shipped out this week and into the following weeks - with the only delay being on 2Step HD frames.

I would suspect that Procycle will keep ample parts to cover earlier model year Balfas, and you don't have to worry about replacing any derailleur hangers on Balfa frames because their rear triangles are all cromoly.

I'll try to get more detailed information on replacement parts such as linkage plates, bolts etc. etc. and will relay that info to the forum.

I wish I had more information for you - but I hope this bit of info will be helpful.

Take care,

Mark (Part Time CT Rep)