mtbr member
    Oct 2012

Another thread looking for help on choosing a new bike

Mostly been road biking, but now thinking about getting a mtb for when the weather is not ideal. I've narrowed it down to 3 choices based on local availability, usefulness, and of course price. I know a little about components, but not too much about the different frames. I'm basically looking for something that climbs fast but not too concerned about bombing down hill. Mostly a XC bike I can use for recreational riding. Here's the current lineup of what I'm looking to pick up.

1. 2013 Trek Superfly 100
    2. 2012 Scott Spark 50
    3. 2011 Santa Cruz Nickel (used)

I've sat on the Superfly and it seems to be a nice bike. I'll be driving to the LBS that carries the Spark 50 and see how it fits me. The Nickel is of course used, but it belongs to a friend of mine and I know the history behind it. He also custom built most of the parts and has SRAM XX all around. The only caveat is that it's a size Med and I don't know if it will fit. The only reason I'm even thinking it might is because the Superfly Med surprising fit pretty good. I'm 5"11 with a 32 inseam btw. Appreciate any opinions. Thanks

T.W.O.
    Aside for the Nikel being too small, you can roll the dice on any of the 3 you mentioned and have the biggest smile on your face riding on the trail. All three has their great features. Put a gun to my head I'd pick the SuperFly.