Clueless genius
    Feb 2011

Another "Is my bike done for?" thread!

Howdy howdy MTBR! I just got my beloved '07 c'dale prophet back from the bike shop after having the rear-wheel re-laced and when I was doing a test ride out in the parking lot, I noticed a loud creaking coming from the front triangle during compression loads on the suspension. (Bunny hops, bouncing, hitting bumps etc). Assuming it was just a loose pivot or shock bolt, I shrugged, drove home and re-tightened everything. Turns out the pivot bolt was a little loose, but that unfortunately wasn't the issue. After inspecting the shock mounts I found two small cracks on the left side of the forward shock mount. And I do mean small, but they creak pretty darn loudly. Pictures follow.

2009 GT Sanction 2.0
    2007 C'dale Prophet 5
    1994 C'dale M400

AZ
    banned
    Take it to your dealer and let them make the call.

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    That frame is done for, good thing you noticed that before it failed. That would have been a fun one to try and ride out of if it happend while riding.

With the risk of being a troll, they dont call them crack-n-fails for nothing... Good luck with your warranty/ crash replacement!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by AZ.MTNS View Post
    Take it to your dealer and let them make the call.
    more specifically, let Cannondale make the call. The dealer has no say in whether the frame would be replaced under warranty. I would like to know what they end up doing, keep us posted.

Rogue Exterminator
    If it is a warrantied item, I would definitely handle it now with Cannondale and not wait until total failure.

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    Hello! I'm new to this forum and I want to ask a stupid question! I bought a alloy frame from a DH racer. It is a hardtail made from alloy 7005T6. It had a little crack near the weld. Here you can see the weld:
    store.picbg DOT net/pubpic/7E/41/6e56a076040f7e41 DOT jpg

He said that there was no crack on the alloy, only on the paint but he wanted to be sure and he send it to a welder who welds alloy and he welded it. After that he rode on downhill races. He has 3 or 4 medals after the weld. He rode with a marzocchi bomber 66. I don't ride downhill. I like AM but mainly I do MTB stunts. I ride it with a sr suntour xcm 100mm. Do I have to fear something? I don't have any money for a new frame. I think the weld is good because he rode a lot races after the welding What do you think?

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    If you think frame has a crack take the paint off and look at the bare metal, I have seen a few Kona frames that have cracked paint, but frame was fine under the paint.

Clueless genius
    Feb 2011
    Turns out...it was actually just a crack in the paint! And the creaking was due to cable rub!

Also, cannondale customer service was very pleasant! They responded quickly, answered my questions clearly, and were all-in-all a nice person! Where ever you are Cannondale Cusomter Service Sis, you're awesome!
    2009 GT Sanction 2.0
    2007 C'dale Prophet 5
    1994 C'dale M400

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Spykr View Post
    Turns out...it was actually just a crack in the paint! And the creaking was due to cable rub!

Also, cannondale customer service was very pleasant! They responded quickly, answered my questions clearly, and were all-in-all a nice person! Where ever you are Cannondale Cusomter Service Sis, you're awesome!
    That's awesome!

You must have caught someone on a very good day, I have heard for the most part only horror stories about cannondale's warranty department.

mtbr member
    Nevertheless, if you see a crack in the paint it is always a good idea to flake it and see if there is a crack. You can always touch it up if it isn't cracked. Beats a crack and flop on the trail.
    '93 Giant Sedona ATX custom
    '93 Giant Sedona AtX aero-edition
    '73 Schwinn Suburban
    '95 Fuji Suncrest