mtbr member
    Mar 2009

AM Hardtail under $1000 that's upgradeable?

So I really want to get into mountain biking, so I'm looking at bikes. I have a pretty hardcore BMX background, and experience with a lot of other similar things like snowboarding so I'm pretty sure I know what I'm going to be doing with the bike. I've done a lot of searching on the forums, but for AM hardtails everyone recommends custom built bikes, which I'm not up to yet. I'd really like to get an off the shelf bike, that can be upgraded later.

Most of the time I'll be riding cross country, although I will definitely be attracted to the very technical trails - places where I can do drops of a few feet, hopping over things, small jumps, all that sort of thing. I guess that's typically called all mountain riding. If the trail I'm on isn't very technical, I'll probably be going pretty quick. I'm not racing anyone though, so I don't care if the bike is ultra light or ultra fast or anything.

I would like to be able to take it to the lift assisted place somewhat near me (Diablo), even just to do the smaller features. If I got to the point where I was riding there a lot I'd probably change bikes to a more downhill oriented bike, so for now this is a minor part of my "riding profile", if you will.

I'd like to be able to take it dirt jumping, but this again will be a minor part of what it's used for - and I'll never be hardcore about dirt jumping I don't think.

I'm pretty decided on a hardtail, since I don't want to spend a ton of money on a bike when I've never even mountain biked before, and it seems that the components are much better in my price range ($600-1000) on hardtails, plus coming from BMX I think full suspension would be odd for me.

So basically I want a bike that can do it all decently, with technical trails being its strong point. The other thing I really would like is to use it on increasingly more technical trails, and therefore be able to upgrade it. I know from searching, there's a lot of talk of putting a high travel fork on a bike like this - I want something that will accomodate this in the future.

Any input would be appreciated!

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    For under $1000 I think Kona makes the most durable bikes, I'm wishing i would have got one instead of what I did get. Kona Blast $550-700 or Cinder cone under$1000. My blast I got for $600 dollars went seven(7) years with NO MAJOR REPAIRS NECESSARY. can't go wrong with a Fisher Piranna either. Good luck

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    Thanks for the input.

I should mention that I think I'd be more on the freeride side of all-mountain as a general rule, if that wasn't clear from the first post.

I was definitely looking pretty hard at Kona. However, I was looking more at the "Shred" and the Five O (slightly above my price target, but might be doable). What is the difference between those bikes and the ones you mentioned, the Blast and Cinder Cone? I know the ones I was looking at say "out of bounds/freeride" instead of "all mountain", but what does that actually mean in terms of the bike?

The bikes I've been looking at are the following:

Ideal Spending Range ($500-$1000):
    -Kona Shred
    -Fisher Mullet
    -Giant STP1
    -Jamis Komodo I
    -Haro Escape Comp (maybe Sport)
    -Specialized P.1 All Mountain

Bikes I might be convinced to spend the extra money on (slightly above $1000)
    -Kona Five-O
    -Jamis Komodo II

Anyone know which of those will be able to handle having a 150mm fork down the line? Any other comments on those bikes? Am I looking at the wrong bikes?

Are there any particular components or angles or something that I should be looking for?

Any input on anything above would be great!

Shot Down in Flames...
    Not to spam but... If it fits you, the Chiquillo frame in my sig is custom and set-up for a 130mm fork. With some creativity you could build it up and stay within your budget.

D.

Keep Singletrack Single
    Sinister Ridge
    Banshee Viento
    Santa Cruz Cameleon
    Chumba HX1

I am going with the Sinister or the Banshee...
    Phil's Trail Steward for COTA
    http://www.cotamtb.com
    Phil's Trail Facebook Page
    https://www.facebook.com/PhilsTrail

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by willem3
    Sinister Ridge
    Banshee Viento
    Santa Cruz Cameleon
    Chumba HX1

I am going with the Sinister or the Banshee...
    These are all frames right? Unfortunately I don't know enough about mountain biking at this point to build my own bike from scratch, so I'm really looking for pre-built bikes that I can build off of. Plus I'm looking to spend under $1000 on the entire bike.

Keep Singletrack Single
    They are all frames. The Viento is $599.00. Tough to build something workable for under $1,000.00. The forks alone are spendy as well. These are the best frames on the market in this category. GOOD LUCK!!!
    Phil's Trail Steward for COTA
    http://www.cotamtb.com
    Phil's Trail Facebook Page
    https://www.facebook.com/PhilsTrail