mtbr member
    Sep 2009

Aloha all! Newbie here...

Hey everyone, greetings from Hawaii! I'm on my way to purchasing my first mountain bike and am excited yet worried at the same time. I've been doing as much research as I could and learned a great deal about things like frame size to all the different components of a bike, terms such as XC, DH, hardtail, full suspension, etc, before finally dishing out some hard-earned $$$ on a bike to start, but I could use some help.

Looking at a handful of brands that are carried by the local shops here on the island of Oahu, I've grown to love the look of Kona bikes (2009+) and thus, am looking into purchasing the Lanai 2009 or wait a bit for when the 2010 models come out. I believe that one of the local shops is having a sale on a handful of Konas but I haven't received word back from them yet via e-mail.

Just to add some information on myself before I go any further, I'm 5' 8.5" tall, 210lbs, and plan to ride my bike at least a few miles a day over a mix of pavement and dirt/rocky terrain. I wanna keep my initial spending low on my first bike (Under $500), but have a lot of room for upgrades if I ever feel I need more out of what I already have. And don't worry, if I ever start going downhill with some of my enthusiast friends, I'm going to upgrade to a more fit bike for that!

So you guys think this is a good starting investment for me? Anything I should definitely replace off-the-bat that won't add more than $200 to my initial spending? I'll probably update this again once I know EXACTLY how much the bike is going to cost me.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009

bike

Definately get a hardtail, I've never owned a kona but they look like like a decent bike....I own a cannondale F4 myself...You might have a difficult time finding a good new name brand bike for under $500...see if u can scrape together a few more $$ and get a kona blast...that way u have good quality components so u won't need to upgrade for a while...the blast also has hydraulic brakes which are sweet...good luck

mtbr member
    A used bike would get you more bike for the money if you knew what you were looking for. There are not a lot of decent used hardtail mountain bikes in your area so you should probably stick with the bike shops unless you are really patient. As mentioned if you can get the budget up to about $500 there are a lot of decent new bikes in that price range. Try to pin the sized down of the bike you are going to get. I think you should stay with 16-18 inch bikes. If you go to 15 it will be a little too small and 19 will feel a little big.

I am slightly partial to Giant bikes and I think you can get a lot of bike for the money with Giants so I would check out the Giants like the Yukon, Rincon or Boulder. The Boulder would be similar to the Lanai you are looking at. The Boulder and Lanai are light trail bikes meant for fairly smooth stuff off road and are more suited to riding to work, beach, around town.

Heres a used Yukon off Craigslist that is attractively priced at $250 it would be worth checking out if either 16 or 18 inches.
    http://honolulu.craigslist.org/oah/bik/1371439814.html

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Thanks for the replies so far guys!

I left an email for that guy selling the Yukon. Hope to hear from him soon.

Well I just got an email back from the shop I emailed and they have a bunch of Kona's with a 17" frame that I can try out. I'm gonna try them all out and see which one I like. Who knows, I might wanna save up for something even better.