Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Almost scammed on ebay for Giant Vt1: Beware!!

747 views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  gnr0385 
#1 ·
If you are ever planning to buy a bike online, or any other big ticket item you have to read this, it could save you a bunch of money as it did me:
I was looking this VT1 on ebay, brand new $1400 close out, good deal, maybe a little too good. I email the guy for info and he emails me back and says to use this escrow service and not to bid on the auction, and I not knowing much about escrow servies think that escrow-america.org seems like it could be a legit site. I email him for more info, pics and other stuff but no response so I start to get a little suspicious and do some searching online. Turns out that escrow fraud is a huge problem and sellers create bogus sites, take your money and you never know what hits you. Here is a great link I found on the topic: http://www.escrowfraud.com/index.html. Just wanted to let everybody know because I'm in the market for a new bike and almost fell for this scam, luckly I caught on to it just in time but make sure that you don't. If you bid on ebay use paypal not an outside service of the sellers choice.

#2 ·
I have a VT1 for sale if you're interested. You'll have to pay me through escrow though, I hope that's not a problem. Oh yeah my camera is broken so I can't send you any pictures.

gnr0385 said:
If you are ever planning to buy a bike online, or any other big ticket item you have to read this, it could save you a bunch of money as it did me:
I was looking this VT1 on ebay, brand new $1400 close out, good deal, maybe a little too good. I email the guy for info and he emails me back and says to use this escrow service and not to bid on the auction, and I not knowing much about escrow servies think that escrow-america.org seems like it could be a legit site. I email him for more info, pics and other stuff but no response so I start to get a little suspicious and do some searching online. Turns out that escrow fraud is a huge problem and sellers create bogus sites, take your money and you never know what hits you. Here is a great link I found on the topic: http://www.escrowfraud.com/index.html. Just wanted to let everybody know because I'm in the market for a new bike and almost fell for this scam, luckly I caught on to it just in time but make sure that you don't. If you bid on ebay use paypal not an outside service of the sellers choice.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.