mtbr member

Advice on Trek EX9 in classifieds

Hey guys, I'm taking a hard look at a Trek Fuel EX9 in the classifieds. I'm just getting back into this (you can reference my post 'Beat up runner & gym rat looking to branch out' in the beginners forum) and this bike looks great and the price is right. Many of you suggest buying new so as to not inherit someone else's problems, and I take that advice seriously, but I am also looking at "excellent" used bikes. What do you think? As of right now, if I buy new, the frontrunners are Giant Trance X2 ('10) or X3 ('11).

Here's the link http://classifieds.mtbr.com/showprod...ct=64569&cat=3

mtbr member
    May 2006
    I just bought a bike off the classifieds boards here a few weeks ago (excellent condition) and I have been happy with the experience, except that I haven't gotten to use it nearly enough lately because of the poor weather conditions. As for bike store bikes, the Giant Trance was at the top of my list as well but it was difficult for me to justify that kind of money while trying to save up for a vacation to Disney for the family. If the bike isn't too far from you, I would state your interest in it and check it out and see the condition, try it out, and see how it fits, how it feels, etc. When you buy used, you definitely get more value for your money but there are issues to be concerned about (no warranty in case of frame breakage, bike could've been used more than stated, acquiring someone else's headache). But I just wanted to let you know I had a good experience and I'm sure many others have as well. By reading these forums, you can see just how often some people buy new bikes (it's addictive!) and how little some of these bikes are used. The Fuel Ex 9 is definitely a nice bike and I think I would go for it in your situation.

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    Outside of my first bike, all of mine have been used and i have never had an issue.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Both the EX and the Trance are very nice bikes. I've owned both, and my '10 EX9 is my favorite bike I've ever owned. The 2010 gets a few design changes from the '09, but they're incremental changes that slightly improve the trade-off between pedaling efficiency and big-bump performance, and slight improvements in stiffness. Neither change totally alters the character of the bike. I'd say that EX9, with a Pushed shock, would be an awesome way to go. You'll get top-shelf parts on the bike for the price of new entry-level stuff.

2007 and earlier was a previous generation EX. Not worth considering IMO. 2008 was the first year of the major redesign of the EX. It got a standard volume Fox rear shock. It worked well. 2009 the EX got a high volume air chamber Fox rear shock. It absorbed big bumps better, but at the expense of pedaling efficiency (not a huge difference, though). 2010 got a new shock that Trek/Fox worked together on, a dual chamber where halfway through the travel it opens a second air chamber to get the best of both. It rocks. However, a regular (or high volume) shock sent to Push would be a close second IMO. They do some pretty special things with valving that helps minimize any compromises.

My one hesitation with that particular bike is that it has likely been ridden hard in the gnar. Big Minion tires, and a 120-150 travel fork, to me indicates that it's seen rock gardens, drops, bigger terrain. I will say that my 120-150 TALAS is my favorite mod I've done to mine, and it's a super fun bike set to 150 with a set of 2.4" 2-ply Ardent's. It feels like way more than 5" of travel when you've got a big fork that slacks out the head angle.

I guess I'm trying to say that if you want a bike that can handle anything from occasional XC racing to occasional shuttle/lift stuff, an EX with an adjustable fork is a great way to go. Just be aware that the previous owner may have enjoyed doing shuttle/lift assisted rides on it too.

mtbr member
    Thanks for the thoughtful answers. eric, you raise some issues and make some great points. I've asked for more detailed pictures, and will ask more questions about the type of riding this bike was used for.