XC Rider
    Aug 2007

Cool-blue Rhythm ADVICE needed --- Jamis Komodo 2.0 '07 OR Mongoose Amasa Elite 08

Hi guys,

PLZ HELP ME OUT !!

I am considering on buying one of the two bikes. So u can guess my ride is going to be mostly all mountain. Unfortunately I can not spend more since I live in Europe and shipping will cost me more than $300.
    The Amasa is on sale at performance for $600, here is the link

http://www.performancebike.com/shop/...slisearch=true

while the Komodo is on sale at Jenson Usa for $549

http://www.jensonusa.com/store/produ...0+Bike+07.aspx

The Komodo has Deore components while the Mongoose has Sram x7. On this point I go with the mongoose setup since I like SRAM a lot. YOu can set the shifters and everything else at the begining and then forget about them, while you will have to work from time to time with the Shimanos.
    The brakes on the Jamis are hayes Sole hydraulic. The Mongoose has Tektro Auriga Comp. Which ones perform better??
    Another main point I am considering both bikes is the Fork. How does the SR DURO DJ 130 mm compare to the 289 Rock Shox Tora coil ( 85-130 mm adj) on the Mongoose???
    As for the brand I would go with Jamis rather than Mongoose.
    Please take some time to give me your opinions for the parts and for the bikes overall.
    THANKS A LOT !!

No good in rock gardens..
    Neither link works for me....
    My Cannondale Lefty keeps failing....

XC Rider
    Aug 2007

mtbr member
    Brakes: Sole is hydraulic, but only a single piston vs. dual pistons as in Hayes Nine or Avid Juicy. The Tektro Auriga is also hydraulic, but is dual piston. They probably perform the same, or maybe the Tektro slightly better. Jamis has 8" front/7" rear, Mongoose has 7"/6" Advantage: about equal (single piston with larger discs vs. dual pistons on smaller discs).

Fork: Both have steel upper tubes and steel steerers and coil springs and rebound control. The Tora has 32mm dia upper tubes while the SR appears to have thinner 30mm. The 130mm SR fork seems long for a hardtail. The Tora has adjustable travel, so you can lower it to help on climbs to keep the front end down. Advantage: Mongoose

Crank: Jamis has Alpha Drive 2 ring w/bash, Mongoose has Shimano 3 ring. Advantage: Mongoose

Rear cassette: Jamis has 8-speed 11-32, Mongoose has 9-speed 11-34. Advantage: Mongoose

Wheels: Jamis has WTB Dual Duty (can be used for V-brakes), Mongoose has Speeddisc. Both weigh the same. Both have same hubs. Advantage: neither (but the speeddisc rims look better)

Tires: Nevagals on Mongoose. Don't need to say anything more. Advantage: Mongoose

Shifters: I prefer X.7 or X.9 over the Shimano Deore. You could get arguements either way. You like Sram. Advantage: Mongoose

Type of Riding: Jamis calls their's a 'freeride hardtail'. The headtube geometry is very laid back/slack at 67.5 degrees. Add in the 130mm fork and it probably will steer like a chopper motorcycle. The Jamis seat tube is also laid back at 71.5 degrees. The Mongoose has 'classic' XC geometry at 71 deg headtube and 73 degree seattube. If you run the fork at the max 130mm travel, it will rake out the bike a little and effectively change the headtube angle slacker, more towards the All Mountain angle which is closer to 69 degress. The Jamis looks to me more like a 'dirt jump' bike than a XC/All Mountain bike. You said you'd be riding more All Mountain. I think the Mongoose is better for that type of riding than the Jamis. Advantage: Mongoose

ride hard take risks
    What bikes do you have available to you??
    Formotion Products
    http://www.formot

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    If it comes down to components with everything else being equal,the Mongoose wins and wins fairly easily.The one good thing about them selling so many crappy dept. store bikes is that it keeps the price of their high end bikes cheaper then some other brands.

No good in rock gardens..
    I think the Mongoose is better specced and more versatile. It's 27 speed and as such can be upgraded without changing shifters etc. The Rockshock fork has adjustable travel b/w 85 and 130mm so is suitable for trail and AM use and IMO has much more appeal than the SR fork. The X7 is the same as X9 from a couple of years ago and it works very, very well. The rest of the bike is well specced too.

Get the Mongoose IMO.
    My Cannondale Lefty keeps failing....

XC Rider
    Aug 2007
    I appreciate it, thanks a lot for the reply. I am ordering the Mongoose ))

WickedVT3
    the kamodo is realy awsome i road one for a whole summer in florida doing pedal cab, this bike never gave me a single problem besides a flat tire. didnt have to replace anything the entire time i had it. trust me you will love it