Omnipotent
    May 2011

New question here. Advice for FS All-Mountain: Used

Hello all... so I'm in NEED of a full-suspension rig, mainly something that's going to be used for all-day, pro-saddle riding, preferable all-mountain with climbing ability (lock outs/pro-pedal). I've been searching for WEEKS endlessly on e-bay and CL, found a few bikes I thought were going to be a good deal, but turned out to be another last minute up-bid war.

I would like some advice between these choices (and others related) below, and which models would best suit my,

Intention:
    All-day, more in-saddle vs. hovering, moderate DH, rocks & roots, some 4-6ft hits, competent climber. 125-140mm travel F/R

Budget: $1000- (1200 overdrive for a rare deal)

Physique:
    5,11-6'0; ~168, but gaining to 180ish...

Interested in:
    Specialized FSR
    Marin Quad-Trail 6.8
    Specialized Pitch (coulda got it for $1100, but blew it!)
    Specialized Euduro
    Rocky Mnt
    Foes
    Giant Sensor, Trance, VT
    Ellsworth (I hope)

There's a sampling of the kind of bikes I've been looking at; if anyone has some suggestions please aid.

Also... I've gotta rant this out; what is it with the bikes listings on e-Bay? People are selling high machines and barely listing any of comps, forget about what specific model comps either. Sometimes no frame size or model yr, 1-2 distant pics??? I have to hound sellers in PM for explicit details which they seem reluctant to give even if asked specifically... errrrr!

Thanks all.

T.W.O.
    Quote Originally Posted by TitaniumV12
    Hello all... so I'm in NEED of a full-suspension rig, mainly something that's going to be used for all-day, pro-saddle riding, preferable all-mountain with climbing ability (lock outs/pro-pedal). I've been searching for WEEKS endlessly on e-bay and CL, found a few bikes I thought were going to be a good deal, but turned out to be another last minute up-bid war.

I would like some advice between these choices (and others related) below, and which models would best suit my,

Intention:
    All-day, more in-saddle vs. hovering, moderate DH, rocks & roots, some 4-6ft hits, competent climber. 125-140mm travel F/R

Budget: $1000- (1200 overdrive for a rare deal)

Physique:
    5,11-6'0; ~168, but gaining to 180ish...

Interested in:
    Specialized FSR
    Marin Quad-Trail 6.8
    Specialized Pitch (coulda got it for $1100, but blew it!)
    Specialized Euduro
    Rocky Mnt
    Foes
    Giant Sensor, Trance, VT
    Ellsworth (I hope)

There's a sampling of the kind of bikes I've been looking at; if anyone has some suggestions please aid.

Also... I've gotta rant this out; what is it with the bikes listings on e-Bay? People are selling high machines and barely listing any of comps, forget about what specific model comps either. Sometimes no frame size or model yr, 1-2 distant pics??? I have to hound sellers in PM for explicit details which they seem reluctant to give even if asked specifically... errrrr!

Thanks all.
    You want to look at

Giant Reign, Trance, Trance X
    Cannondale Prophet, Rush
    Intense 5.5, Spider

I picked up 4-5 Cannondale Rush/Prophet last year with lefty for $700-900.

I don't know if I'd get the FS that's really old though. The geometry is not the same as the current AM bike. Some some are design for shorter travel fork but still with longer travel rear.

Omnipotent
    May 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by mimi1885
    You want to look at

Giant Reign, Trance, Trance X
    Cannondale Prophet, Rush
    Intense 5.5, Spider

I picked up 4-5 Cannondale Rush/Prophet last year with lefty for $700-900.

I don't know if I'd get the FS that's really old though. The geometry is not the same as the current AM bike. Some some are design for shorter travel fork but still with longer travel rear.
    1st off... Praise you for replying lol, thought I was gunna end up bumped lol.

Yes, I have seen those other models as well, but wasn't really sure of the quality or ability. I've been reading reviews on every single model of interest (a lot).

I'm aware of the dated suspension platforms and have tried to restrict my choices to 07'+

Here's what I've seen thus far, but I'm not sure how much they are realistically worth?

08' Ellsworth Moment (a dream, but it's already at 1000+ w/5hrs to go, reserve active lol)
    08' Kona Dawg (XT'd)
    09' Santa Cruz Blur LT
    06' Specialized S Works FSR Enduro
    04' Giant VT

I'm not sure I should be attempting to get an AM/Trail bike at this price range; seems like the competition is very high and the quality bike brands are rare in large size... Maybe I should wait until I have $1500 to play with?

Thanks.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    The shortage of large bikes on ebay was frustrating me when I was looking for my bike. It seemed like you could get a great deal if you rode a small frame and a decent deal on a medium. This may seem pretty obvious but have you tried using the forums classified ads? I was using mainly ebay and Craigslist (which was pretty bad for my area) and then started looking through the classifieds on the site and found my bike. You can also post a "Want to Buy" ad on Craigslist, which I did and got a few responses from a couple of people in my area. If you open up your budget to 1500, you definitely give yourself more options. For instance, at around 1500 you can buy a new Trance X4 or you might be able to get a decent deal on a new bike from the bike store on prior years models.

Omnipotent
    May 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Musichead13 View Post
    The shortage of large bikes on ebay was frustrating me when I was looking for my bike. It seemed like you could get a great deal if you rode a small frame and a decent deal on a medium. This may seem pretty obvious but have you tried using the forums classified ads? I was using mainly ebay and Craigslist (which was pretty bad for my area) and then started looking through the classifieds on the site and found my bike. You can also post a "Want to Buy" ad on Craigslist, which I did and got a few responses from a couple of people in my area. If you open up your budget to 1500, you definitely give yourself more options. For instance, at around 1500 you can buy a new Trance X4 or you might be able to get a decent deal on a new bike from the bike store on prior years models.

Yes you are right about the $1500 big stack lol... But, I'm trying to be a little practical on my budget. For that kinda cash I could do some very fun traveling/visiting friends in warm places - hmmm...

I just got done searching again and after the Ellsworth and such ended, or didn't sell; there's nothing left for large framed folks. How is it that people are either short or taller on e_bay lol?! Large bikes are a rarity and fetch a premium for dated technology???....uuugh (EEEEEBAAAAY!!!!) CL in my area is dead for large as well. I might just have to wait till the winter when folks are dumping theirs for next springs newest...

Thanks for the advice... What bike did you end up finding, if any?

mtbr member
    May 2006
    My wife gave me free reign to buy a bike that I wanted. I started off with a 1000 dollar budget, said eh, maybe I'll spend a little more and get a better bike, which went to 1500, then to 1800, then to 2100. But at the end of the day I definitely couldn't justify the 2100 or even the 1500. Kind of made me sick that 1500 is almost a starting point for a full suspension and that the parts on it aren't even that great. We're also planning a family vacation to Disney which is going to drain our budget and a 2000 dollar bike on top of that will take away a good part of our savings. Plus I knew my wife would have bargaining power if she saw something I considered extreme that she wanted (like a 250 dollar purse, etc.) and would always come back with the line "But I let you buy a 2000 dollar bike". I ended up buying a Rocky Mountain ETSX 30 08 from the classifieds on here for 900. It was a bike I never heard of and a probably a little less than what's usually considered All Mountain but it does have 5 inch travel, fox front and back. The bike was in excellent condition and I got a great deal on it. I'm definitely happy with it and just trying to get out more, since it was raining here for what it seems like 2 weeks straight. But looking for bikes was starting to kill me at the end. Good luck in your search!! If you have a bike you can ride for this season, I would do that and maybe just keep your eyes out for a deal and jump on it. Waiting until the winter will give you plenty of options, as there's no premium on bikes and most people outdoor people are thinking about skiing. Plus there are plenty of people that bought a new bike during the summer, didn't ride it at all, and unload it just to make some of their money back.

Omnipotent
    May 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Musichead13 View Post
    My wife gave me free reign to buy a bike that I wanted. I started off with a 1000 dollar budget, said eh, maybe I'll spend a little more and get a better bike, which went to 1500, then to 1800, then to 2100. But at the end of the day I definitely couldn't justify the 2100 or even the 1500. Kind of made me sick that 1500 is almost a starting point for a full suspension and that the parts on it aren't even that great. We're also planning a family vacation to Disney which is going to drain our budget and a 2000 dollar bike on top of that will take away a good part of our savings. Plus I knew my wife would have bargaining power if she saw something I considered extreme that she wanted (like a 250 dollar purse, etc.) and would always come back with the line "But I let you buy a 2000 dollar bike". I ended up buying a Rocky Mountain ETSX 30 08 from the classifieds on here for 900. It was a bike I never heard of and a probably a little less than what's Iusually considered All Mountain but it does have 5 inch travel, fox front and back. The bike was in excellent condition and I got a great deal on it. I'm definitely happy with it and just trying to get out more, since it was raining here for what it seems like 2 weeks straight. But looking for bikes was starting to kill me at the end. Good luck in your search!! If you have a bike you can ride for this season, I would do that and maybe just keep your eyes out for a deal and jump on it. Waiting until the winter will give you plenty of options, as there's no premium on bikes and most people outdoor people are thinking about skiing. Plus there are plenty of people that bought a new bike during the summer, didn't ride it at all, and unload it just to make some of their money back.
    Hey thanks for replying, sorry about the delay; busy summer!

I think I've lost the fire/lusting for a new AM bike... I still want one, but after reading your story and my own, I think I've just lost hope for e bay lol. $1500 would have won me all the bikes I've listed/wanted, except for the Ellsworth Moment (they wanted $2000 res)... There's been a few $1100-1200 "deals," but yes $1500 for even a USED 5-8yrs old, warranty-less, who knows how abused (parts mileage) bike is just insane to me!? I mean yes folks paid a lot of them NEW, but just like a new car, you pay to say "new," doesn't mean it's actually worth what you paid to anyone else...

I remember reading about the Santa Cruz Heckler in MTBReview mag (or some related mag) when they 1st came out like I dunno 5-8yrs ago, haha and they recommended it as "a solid ENTRY lvl into the full-suspension market," at a "steal" of $1500. $1500 doesn't buy anything "good" at all "new" these days from my research? I just can't fathom the mentality of anyone that pays $2000+ for a "bike." (Okay if I had $2000 as if it was $200, sure I'm game, haha!) Just seems rather excessive, but then again, I'm glad they do, so I can hopefully pick up on a reasonable deal when the upgrade-bug hits them.

I know that the people that make these bikes (smaller shops) by hand really put some work into design, and a mega vendor has machines do it as well... But I've seen a bike frame being built and I'm sorry to say as someone with an engineering background, welding skills and the like... I don't often see any "work" nor materials that realistically cost $2000 + components to build. It's a huge ass markup con if you ask me. $2000 buys a DRIVABLE CAR. Albeit not the best one, but one that reliably WILL take you to and for, with heat, AC, radio and all sorts of amenities...

The search continues...

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    I'm kind of in the same boat here.

And that $1500 mark seems to be where the doors really open to your choices. I've seen what looked to be some good deals on ebay, but if the buyer won't answer my questions, i see it as a red flag.

I'm thinking Santa Cruz Superlight, or Giant Trance / Anthem - I'm wondering if used is a good deal when you can get these bikes built around $1500. For instance, I'm interested in an '09 Trance X4 $1000 firm. Seems like a good deal if it's in good shape, but would that end up costing me more to upgrade '09 parts, than if I just purchased a new X3 / X2 or Superlight?

Hard to figure what to do.

Omnipotent
    May 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by melommo View Post
    I'm kind of in the same boat here.

And that $1500 mark seems to be where the doors really open to your choices. I've seen what looked to be some good deals on ebay, but if the buyer won't answer my questions, i see it as a red flag.

I'm thinking Santa Cruz Superlight, or Giant Trance / Anthem - I'm wondering if used is a good deal when you can get these bikes built around $1500. For instance, I'm interested in an '09 Trance X4 $1000 firm. Seems like a good deal if it's in good shape, but would that end up costing me more to upgrade '09 parts, than if I just purchased a new X3 / X2 or Superlight?

Hard to figure what to do.

aaaaaaAAAHAAAA! So it's YOU that I'm in a bidding war against as well eh? Haha nagh, I think we're both in the "I'm not gonna pay a car's worth" camp... I think there's a large group of "us" out there looking for e bay "deals," but there's always that 1 guy that decides to bid into the red, which leaves me confused as to why someone would pay so much for a warranty-less bike etc... I guess some folks just gotta have it; "auctions" will do that to ya I guess.

Those Giant bikes have been pretty decent in price, ranging from 695-1200. Then again I've seen a brand new deals on Bikes Direct, (Anyone have any exp w/them?) which seem pretty appealing considering warranties and someone to turn to if there's a problem right after you get it and test it Vs the black hole of e bay. But... (new mid-level bikes) I'm a little concerned about weight, I'm a power/misc lifter, so leg strength up hills is not a problem at all, but I don't want a +32lbs tank I have to huck around. Considering my last bike was a Carbon HT, about 25lbs light as a feather! I could toss and manipulate it with very little resistance...

I might either suck it up and keep looking for sub $1200 deals or just get a bike from said place/similar.... Maybe wait till winter, when folks dump their old rigs in search of a newer fix lol...

This is killin my hopes and patience; I WANNA RIDE NOW!

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    the Trance I'm talking about wasn't on ebay, so that probaby wasn't me...but man, you hit the nail on the head with "I WANNA RIDE NOW" - I'm not into shopping. I don't care to spend 4 months looking for the best deal, I want to go out this weekend with a comfortable, kick ass bike. But...I want a good deal on it. And now I'm right back where I started. ugh.

Hey that 32lb figure you mentioned...is that actually is what the X4 Trances weigh? That's a a little on the heavy side and would seem to me to skew towards from all mountain towards DH type stuff more than XC. I thought the bike's strength was it's "do everything well" rep.

mtbr member
    You could try one of these don't know how they are but they look good.

http://www.bikesdirect.com/products/...9_fs_xtslx.htm

Omnipotent
    May 2011
    You know I'm still on the fence regarding Motobecane; I don't see to many on trails, nor have I heard much talk about them from owners. Then again people always throw them into the recommendation pool. They make Ti frames that look pretty well welded; if you can built a competent Ti frame, I'd assume you've got some serious skills, maybe I should check them out a little more seriously...

Re Melommo: Yes I've almost given up; this searching crap is REALLY becoming a bother and a chore. Constantly being out bid by idiots who willingly pay close to LBS MSRP for a used/warrantless frame uuuugh! STOP UP-BIDDING OLD+USED BIKES NOOBS... Okay sorry, just a little pent up frustration. haha.

mtbr member
    I would go with the 29er from bd it is a good looking bike and the parts are great. If you dont like the bike send it back.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    TitaniumV12, no need to apologize for an Ebay rant. kinda hard to find a good deal their and i've had better luck on craigslist.

Hey, if you're going for a 29er I can tell you that a few weeks ago I demo'd a carbon 29er from Ibex that I liked (hardtail, though). If you're thinking of buying direct like Motobecane, you might want to look into Ibex. New owner I talked to who is keeping things small and spec's the bikes really nicely for the price. Also road a FS Asta that I liked. I think it was a single pivot design.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by jpeters View Post
    I would go with the 29er from bd it is a good looking bike and the parts are great. If you dont like the bike send it back.
    I would definitely put this on the list of bikes to consider, especially with the pricepoint and the design. I was looking at companies like Motobecane and Fezzari bikes because of the decent price and the parts you get on them. The frame was an issue that made me a bit weary of them because I didn't know if they were proven companies/frame designs and I heard people mention that the Motobecane full suspension models had an outdated suspension platform. I was almost waiting to see what the Motobecane 29er full suspension finalized design was and probably would have gotten one if it had been released in the early spring. I just didn't want to wait around until July for a bike that I didn't even know if I liked or was well designed. When they released the finalized bike information, I was pleasantly surprised (and almost a little jealous).

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    How about a Felt Virtue? There's a large with a buy it now price of $1200. You could probably get it for a little lower and still hit your budget. Parts seem decent.