mtbr member

Advice for first bike please! Please help a girl out...Myka HT vs Myka FSR?

Hey Everyone!

First, thanks for even looking at my post. So, I'm very new to mtn biking and am in the market for my first "real" bike. I was originally going to go with the Myka HT but I came across what sounds to be an amazing deal online. Someone is selling their Myka FSR for $700- it's the 2008 "rim" version, which he originally bought for $1500. He has all of the paperwork, warranty, etc. Bought for his wife, who only put 50 miles on it so would that be considered like new? The pictures look solid and I will at least go and physically check it out. However, my question is: should I just get a new Myka HT at the same price as this slightly used Myka FSR or is the FSR still the better deal? Looking at pix of the FSR vs the HT, I can visually see the differences; some kind of shock/suspension system on the FSR? But could someone tell me the main difference btwn these two models in an easy to understand fashion? Sorry for my lack of knowledge...I'm trying to learn though!
    Thank you very, VERY much...

mtbr member
    First thing to do would be to get your size down if you are a novice rider. After that you might check out the full suspension bikes and compare them to the hardtails. The FSR Myka probably weighs about 4 pounds more than the hardtail and its probably a little bit harder to pedal. If you see yourself riding on relatively smooth trails then maybe you dont need a full suspension bike. If you are going with friends onto a lot of rocky trails and they ride full suspension then consider full suspension.

The womens forum could probably address the issue of women specific bikes a little better. I think if you are shorter than average or you have relatively short legs you could be looking at all (mens) bikes. If you have long legs and short torso like many taller women then the Myka and similar bikes will probably provide a better fit. The Myka FSR would be nice but dont try to make it "fit" because of the price. If the woman who owned it is within an inch or two of your height then check it out. Hydraulic disc brakes would be nice but they can be added later with most wheelsets.

Before going the used/private party route really take a look at the bikes at the local shops. If they have some higher end Stumpjumper hardtails bikes check those out if you could find one that fits. It might give you an idea of what a really nice light bike would feel like.

Classic weekend warrior
    kind of ironic... im in a similar situation...

i have a practically brand new 2008 FSRxc for my wife, but she hasnt even taken it out on the trails yet. I ride 3 times a week and personally would not like a full suspension bike for the trails i ride. so im actually considering selling her bike to get a hardtail for this summer when she's planning on starting to join me for trail rides.

i wish i got her a hardtail from the start... but she says she likes the full suspension bike. so i guess we'll see how that works out.

moral is, it depends on the trails you'll be riding and what you're comfortable with. if you're in mostly rocky terrain then the fsr may be the way to go. but if its relatively smooth and you'll be doing a lot of climbing....id personally look into a nice hardtail.
    -09 GF X-Caliber
    -38Frameworks Jackalope
    -13 Mukluk 2 (hers)

mtbr member
    Thanks borregokid and sk1er18...very fascinating, indeed. I didn't even know an fsr was for the rockier terrain, which I definitely don't need. Plus, I had no idea it was heavier than an HT! (ht= hardtail...got it) I'm looking for a nice, light bike for mostly smooth trails and some uphill climbing. I'm about 5'6', 105 lbs, so I don't have very long legs and it sounds like I could check out the Stumpjumpers or Rockhoppers too.
    I know I just really need something light b/c I'm not too strong. I really appreciate your explanations!

Classic weekend warrior
    dont get me wrong... there are people that love their full suspension bikes even in flat terrain, so personal preference plays a huuuuge factor too (as does riding style). BUT, from your last post i would definitely look into a nice & light hardtail... especially if you're concerned about climbing ability and you're just starting out.
    -09 GF X-Caliber
    -38Frameworks Jackalope
    -13 Mukluk 2 (hers)

rollin
    Oct 2009
    I agree with all above statements....plus add in that if you plan on keeping this bike, buying new means you get the lifetime warranty should anything happen to the frame (most companies only give frame warranties to original owner). The best advice anybody on here can give is be diverse (i.e try all the models that intrest you) when you test ride and take your time choosing! Being comfortable on a bike is many times the make or break issue for people just starting out...good luck and wlecome!

Cheers,
    Chris

mtbr member
    Thanks, everyone. I'm now looking into HT's and I really like the Rockhoppers so far from what I've seen online. However, I'm going to some local bike shops this weekend to really gain a better perspective. The more I research it, the more I'm learning that a full suspension bike would have been a huge waste of money my biking interests. So grateful for these forums!!