mtbr member
    Oct 2013

New question here. Advice on buying an old bike

Hello, this is my first time positing here, hope this goes well.

I'm looking to buy a used MTB and i found an offer for a 1995 Specialized Stumpjumper FSR for $300.
    1995 Specialized Stumpjumper FSR - BikePedia

I was wondering, since its such an old bike should i be worried about suspensions or the frame in general being bad. The seller says its in good condition, but I'm just curious about how the bike would age and/or how suspensions age.

Im not to savvy with MTB terms but I'm thinking that i would probably be doing downhills and just general MTBing with it (so specific i know). I would also use it for general commuting.

Also, if i later want to switch out the fork of the bike for something that has disc brakes, what prices should i expect? could i get something for under $200?

To summarize: Found an offer for an old bike, and I'm wondering if theres a possibility that something on it has gone bad.

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    All kinds of things can and probably are bad on that old girl. If you want a money pit/project, go ahead. If you want a bike to ride, keep looking.

I Tried Them ALL... Moderator
    A 1995 Stumpy for $300 is way too steep.....unless it's in near-mint condition(highly doubtful - the fork elastomers alone are nearly impossible to source). Save a few more $$ and get yourself a brand-new, Bike Store bike. You will be so much happier.
    "The mind will quit....well before the body does"

T.W.O.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zachariah View Post
    A 1995 Stumpy for $300 is way too steep.....unless it's in near-mint condition(highly doubtful - the fork elastomers alone are nearly impossible to source). Save a few more $$ and get yourself a brand-new, Bike Store bike. You will be so much happier.
    Agree, it's old but not old enough to be that pricy.

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    Thanks for the replies, I've decided that I'm just going to buy a new bike and skip going for a used one. any suggestions for a hardtail bike in the $400-$700 range?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Accp0 View Post
    ...any suggestions for a hardtail bike in the $400-$700 range?
    If you're near a Giant dealer they will have many options for you for the 2014 model year in your price range. Go talk to your LBS and see what they have. The 27.5 bikes look very interesting, to me at least.
    Mountain bikers who don't road ride have no legs...
    Road riders who don't mountain bike have no soul...

SoUtah!
    Mar 2010
    @Accp0... I just saw this post. Did you buy that '95 Stumpjumper FSR? If not, I'm looking for one... not to ride, but just for my collection. That was my first mountain bike, and I'm looking for another one just for sentimental reasons. Would you mind PM'ing me sending me the contact info for the person who is selling it? Or, a link to the ad? Thanks!

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    sorry, the dude seems to have taken it down. wish i saw this soone