mtbr member
    Jan 2013

Advice: Building up a belt drive Haro Extreme

Right, so like the title says I'm trying to build up a 1991/1992 Haro Extreme frame (elevated chainstay) with Gates Carbon drive.

For parts, I have a White Industries ENO eccentric rear wheel (flip flop).
    A brand new CDX center track 60t ring that I got for dirty cheap off of eBay (99 cents to be exact).

I want to build up this bike to be a single speed commuter that can be taken onto trails as a 29er from time to time with a fork change.

Now here's the question. I have to make a decision with how to make the bike coast with carbon drive.

Option 1: Ultegra crankset (from parts bin) with White Industries belt drive freewheel, this will cost me $275 plus shipping cause this freewheel is stupidly expensive.

Option 2: Thread on trials crank (need to order this, I was thinking Echo SL or something like that) with White Industries front freewheel and a Gates 21t fixed cog. This option costs $65 for the freewheel, $70 for the cog and how ever much I can find the SL crank for.

So the two options cost about the same, but I've never had a front freewheel bike before. I'll be running a 60-21t ratio for my drive train, so maybe that's a bit too much for FFW to handle? Thoughts/advice?

Here's a picture of the bike so far, ignore the cranks, I won't be using that set. Also, sorry for the mess, I'm doing this in my dorm room in college.

Advice: Building up a belt drive Haro Extreme-ebay-70-74-.jpg

mtbr member
    Jun 2004

Advice: Building up a belt drive Haro Extreme

Ok, that bike seems weird in so many ways. How does it ride right now? It looks more like a time trial bike from the mid 80's then a mtn bike.

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    I haven't ridden it that much yet. I threw on some cogs/chain and went for a spin about 2 weeks ago just to test out the rear wheel (never owned an ENO eccentric before).

From what I remember, handling is twitchy as hell, but it is very quick at acceleration. =) I actually got a little scared on that ride because it was set up as a fixed gear.

This project is still very much in its infancy. I just bought another Haro Extreme frame one size down from this. Maybe if I bring the seatstay height down with the smaller size frame I won't feel like I'm gonna fly over the bar and kill myself whenever I corner.

Edit: forgot to mention, I already tried to lift the front end with a 27" fork and wheels (in the picture the bike has 27" front and 700c rear). Didn't change the height that much, just gave me a longer wheelbase in the end.

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    Many moons ago I enjoyed the hell out of my Haro Extreme Compitition which was XT equipped. I remember it being a bit on the heavy side but I loved it. Some real wow factor in that it looked different from everything else (where I was, in NZ at the time).
    I made the mistake of selling it so I could buy a supposedly superior Reynolds 531 Magnum framed Peugeot Altitude. The Peugeot beat it hands down on paper but the Haro was 10 times the fun factor. I put it down to one of my biking mistakes based on the fun factor alone. Heres a pic I found on the net of one that shares the same paint job as my old bike. Courtesy of: BoTM Nov 2009 - Poll now up | Retrobike ... mpetition/