Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member

'96 Voodoo Bizango or '95 Independent Fabrication Deluxe?

Hi,

First off, I feel very fortunate that I have the option to even make this choice! By luck I've ended up with these two frames. I built the Bizango up last year and love it. Now I've ended up with an IF Deluxe frame from 1995. I might un-build the Bizango and build the IF. Of course, then I can't ride them side-by-side to compare. I can't really keep both...

Anybody ever compare these two bikes? Both are beautifully made 4 pound steel frames. Are there any real appreciable differences in the way they ride and handle?

Thanks,

Jack

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    I have never had either of the frames you mentioned,but I have had a Voodoo frame and really liked it.Still,if I had the choice I'd pick the Independent Fabrications,their frames are very nice and they are special.Post up some pictures if you can,that would help a lot.

mtbr member
    I'll post a pic of the voodoo and try and take some pics of the IF tonight.

mtbr member
    Here's my favorite weird pic I took of the Voodoo inside a lime kiln:

Here's a more normal pic:

Mantis, Paramount, Campy

In the future...

The IF will have resale value
    The Voodoo will not

mtbr member
    Interesting... I always thought Voodoo had kind of a cult following (no pun intended).

Former Bike Wrench
    IF is a handmade US frame by the former (very recently former in 1995) Fat Chance employees. The Voodoo, while a neat frame, was made in Taiwan then shipped to the US for final assembly.

Both great steel frame (and both could have disc brake tabs put on if you know a good frame welder nearby) but the IF has higher "appeal" if all other things are equal.

mtbr member
    Were Voodoo frames being made in Taiwan even back in '96?

I've got a thought... I have my nice old '94 Trek 930 that I bought new... Sure, the components are just STX (except the XT derailleurs), but they work well. Maybe I'll dismantle the Trek and put the parts on the IF then upgrade over time. Then I'll have the IF *and* the Voodoo! Then what becomes of the Trek frame? It's like an old friend. Maybe I'll just leave it hanging in the basement for a while.

Former Bike Wrench
    Quote Originally Posted by jack_read
    Were Voodoo frames being made in Taiwan even back in '96?

I've got a thought... I have my nice old '94 Trek 930 that I bought new... Sure, the components are just STX (except the XT derailleurs), but they work well. Maybe I'll dismantle the Trek and put the parts on the IF then upgrade over time. Then I'll have the IF *and* the Voodoo! Then what becomes of the Trek frame? It's like an old friend. Maybe I'll just leave it hanging in the basement for a while.
    Made by Toyo...one of Japan's and Taiwan's best steel frame builders. Also makes some other notable steel frames such as Rocky Mountain (no, they were not welded in Canada), Ritchey, and Rivendell

Like I said, a very good frame in it's own right...just lacking the heritage of the IF

mtbr member
    Pics of the IF. Note the pump peg on the back of the seat tube- I like that. I might actually have to get a pump that'll fit. :-)

I've decided it's a keeper for sure.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails '96 Voodoo Bizango or '95 Independent Fabrication Deluxe?-if2.jpg  

'96 Voodoo Bizango or '95 Independent Fabrication Deluxe?-if3.jpg  

'96 Voodoo Bizango or '95 Independent Fabrication Deluxe?-if4.jpg  

'96 Voodoo Bizango or '95 Independent Fabrication Deluxe?-if5.jpg  

Former Bike Wrench
    Pics of the IF. Note the pump peg on the back of the seat tube- I like that. I might actually have to get a pump that'll fit. :-)

I've decided it's a keeper for sure.
    YES...very nice, I like the custom painted Judy SL (you can tell from the press fit stanchions) as well.

Picture Unrelated
    Wow, the IF is really beautiful. Beside the heritage, it's just a fantastic frame built by some fantastic people. As much as I loved Voodoos of that vintage, the IF is pure class. I'd probably only trump that with a Fat Chance on my list.
    Don't you hate it when a sentence doesn't end the way you think it octopus?

mtbr member
    That settles it. You guys have convinced me. I'm going to recycle the parts off my old Trek and build this thing up. It'll be all STX except the XT derailleurs, but that'll do fine for now.

I'll post pics when I'm done. It will probably take me a couple of weeks to get to it.

Former Bike Wrench
    That settles it. You guys have convinced me. I'm going to recycle the parts off my old Trek and build this thing up. It'll be all STX except the XT derailleurs, but that'll do fine for now.

I'll post pics when I'm done. It will probably take me a couple of weeks to get to it.
    The biggest challenge will be the seatpost...believe its a 29.4 but you can always shim and just use a 27.2

Otherwise most stuff will come strait across from the Trek

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by mtnbiker72
    Made by Toyo...one of Japan's and Taiwan's best steel frame builders. Also makes some other notable steel frames such as Rocky Mountain (no, they were not welded in Canada), Ritchey, and Rivendell

Like I said, a very good frame in it's own right...just lacking the heritage of the IF
    You may find this interesting....

http://cgi.ebay.com/VOODOO-BIZANGO-H...item1c1328e237

I don't know if that's the case or not,but maybe some were built here.

I agree with you though,the IF is a special frame,but the Voodoo is also an exceptional frame.I'd keep the IF myself,but if you keep the Voodoo you could get a pretty penny for the IF and still have a very good frame.

mtbr member
    The shim's already in there- you can see its silver lip in one of the photos. I am good to go!

mtbr member
    I took the Judy SL apart and found the elastomer MCUs looking like a crumbled/dried up piece of a hot dog. I cleaned everything out and replaced the MCU (temporarily) with a steel coil spring and a short aluminum spacer I made, loaded everything with grease, and reassembled. It works reasonably well although I hope to get my hands on the proper parts soon.

mtbr member

Former Bike Wrench
    Quote Originally Posted by CRed
    You may find this interesting....

http://cgi.ebay.com/VOODOO-BIZANGO-H...item1c1328e237

I don't know if that's the case or not,but maybe some were built here.

I agree with you though,the IF is a special frame,but the Voodoo is also an exceptional frame.I'd keep the IF myself,but if you keep the Voodoo you could get a pretty penny for the IF and still have a very good frame.
    Well that is kind of deceptive...back then even Raleigh was claiming US made with frames made in China. Here's how it works:

Frame is welded in Taiwan then shipped raw to the US where it is powder coated (or painted) and then assembled. Then it can be claimed to be US made. Rocky Mountain Hammer and Blizzards (also made by Toyo) did the same thing. The claimed they were made in Canada because they were powder coated and assembled in Canada.

mtbr member
    From mtnbiker72:

"Well that is kind of deceptive...back then even Raleigh was claiming US made with frames made in China. Here's how it works:

Frame is welded in Taiwan then shipped raw to the US where it is powder coated (or painted) and then assembled. Then it can be claimed to be US made. Rocky Mountain Hammer and Blizzards (also made by Toyo) did the same thing. The claimed they were made in Canada because they were powder coated and assembled in Canada."

Very interesting.

Former Bike Wrench
    I took the Judy SL apart and found the elastomer MCUs looking like a crumbled/dried up piece of a hot dog. I cleaned everything out and replaced the MCU (temporarily) with a steel coil spring and a short aluminum spacer I made, loaded everything with grease, and reassembled. It works reasonably well although I hope to get my hands on the proper parts soon.
    Replace with springs

http://cgi.ebay.com/Kronos-Springs-R...ht_2065wt_1139

or

http://cgi.ebay.com/Coil-Springs-Roc...ht_1560wt_1139

Also the damper if not working is rebuildable

http://www.mtb-kataloge.de/Bikekatal...als/judyxc.pdf

mtbr member

'96 Voodoo Bizango or '95 Independent Fabrication Deluxe? BOTH! :-)

I just took the IF out for the first time. It's a blast to ride. Sweet handling! More pics to follow...

mtbr member

mtbr member

'96 Bizango and '95 Deluxe...

mtbr member

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast