Dec 2006

'96 Mongoose Rockadile SX, headtube cracked x3

BikePedia - 1996 Mongoose Rockadile SX Complete Bicycle

I bought the above bike on Craiglist for $80 (loaded with high end parts):

- Deore LX front & rear derailleurs
    - Deore XT crank
    - Mavic 238 rims
    - upgraded GT stem & bar
    - upgraded Manitou Forx U front fork (stock was Manitou Mach 5 XC..there was a recall for cracked dropouts)

onlyl 26 lbs.

Unfortunately, I shortly discovered 3 cracks in head-tube!! 2 on top, & 3rd on bottom (long one, goes almost to middle of head-tube). See pics.

I scanned the Web, & 90% say the frame is kaput. There were some instances of repair: drill a hole at end of crack to stop any further cracking. Use dremel bit to gouge a valley in crack & weld it up. I DID find an interesting thread on weld repair:

Cracked Head Tube - FIXED - evolutionm.net

They cut the metal beyond the crack (getting rid of the fatigued Al), & filled it in via weld.

The Mongoose Rockadile SX is a NICE frame, so I'm considering a repair. But, THREE cracks! Maybe better to just find a new frame (Nashbar, Performance, Leader) & start over.

Any ideas of a lightweight frame..good price?

BTW, I approached the seller about getting some sort of resolution..he refused!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails '96 Mongoose Rockadile SX, headtube cracked x3-5i95f15jf3l93n73hfc6he34a835f7b42141b.jpg  

'96 Mongoose Rockadile SX, headtube cracked x3-img_0616.jpg  

'96 Mongoose Rockadile SX, headtube cracked x3-img_0617.jpg  

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    yeah you have to be careful when buying off craigslist. i sit there like an ******* looking things over so i know i'm not getting ripped off. i have a nashbar frame right now, its been good so far. i got it dirt cheap when they had a sale, so yeah... that's always an option. i see frames pop up every now and again. i bought this frame to hold me over until i found something i liked cheap, but until then i'll keep rocking this one. i feel like fixing that is just kind of dangerous.

Former Bike Wrench
    The Rockadile is an average frame that is 16 years old, easily replacable with a $100 frame that should fit all the parts.

Sette Reken Alloy Hardtail Frame at Price Point

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by mtnbiker72 View Post
    The Rockadile is an average frame that is 16 years old, easily replacable with a $100 frame that should fit all the parts.

Sette Reken Alloy Hardtail Frame at Price Point
    How would you compare the Sette/Reken (4.5 lbs for 18") with the Leader (4.21 lbs for 20"):

BlueSkyCycling.com - Leader 510H MTB Frame

Former Bike Wrench
    Quote Originally Posted by chimpanzee00 View Post
    How would you compare the Sette/Reken (4.5 lbs for 18") with the Leader (4.21 lbs for 20"):

BlueSkyCycling.com - Leader 510H MTB Frame
    For that price...take the Leader(assuming you need a 15" or 21"), looks like most parts will swap and you need a new headset anyway based on your pictures.