mtbr member
    Apr 2012

700 HT or Rocky Mountain Reaper I

Hey folks, long time lurker here looking for some buying advice. I'm currently getting back into biking. I have a 22" Raleigh M 50 DX II that i hope to sell soon and buy a 18-19" frame hardtail bike. Years ago a dude at the lbs sold me the 22" even though it was clearly oversized (I'm 5'11, sz 30 inseam). It hasn't been a problem until now that I'm starting to ride more serious trails.

My budget is about $500.00 and I'm looking for a well-equipped hardtail.

I can get the Reaper 1 for quite a bit of money off:

Rocky Mountain Reaper I Bike '11 > Complete Bikes > Dirt Jumper Bikes | Jenson USA Online Bike Shop

or

a Motobecane 700 HT from bike island (I assume its a Bikes Direct clearance house)

BikeIsland.com

Although it retails for less, I live in Texas so I have to pay sales tax on this particular model.

Another option is to buy just the frame and forks and switch over all the Raleigh's components onto the new frame. Though the derailleurs are aging Shimano Aceras, hayes disc brakes and WTB saddle.

Anybody care to chime in? Are the 700HT's components a big improvement from the Reaper's?

Titanium junkie
    Yes, a big improvement. Go for the Motobecane.
    Climb into the sky, never wonder why - Tailgunner
    You're a Tailgunner

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Thanks for the response LV. Now if only the 700HT came in that sexy gunmetal gray like the Reaper!

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Facepalm! Someone purchased the 700HT, so now the only one left at Bike Island has no fork....any suggestions for a good cheap front fork?

Titanium junkie
    Look on ebay, post up what you find.
    Climb into the sky, never wonder why - Tailgunner
    You're a Tailgunner

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    What about the 600HT?
    Mountain Bikes - MTB - Motobecane 600HT

It still has Deore and LX drive train, Tektro disc brakes and a Dart 2 fork, for $359.95, plus the free shipping. For that price, if you want to upgrade in the future you can without going over the original $500 you want to spend.

Ian

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    I've been looking pretty hard at the Moto mountain bikes and (I think) have narrowed it down to the 700HT or the Fantom HT Trail. I was tempted by the 600HT, but wasn't sure about the Alivio shifters and front derailleur. Does anyone know how much better the performance and durability of Deore shifters and deraillers are vs Alivio? Thanks!

mtbr member
    I've had Alivio shifters on a couple of previous mountain bikes that held up just fine.