mtbr member
    Mar 2007

6'1" @ 200lbs looking for a $1000-1999 full suspension bike

I'm looking for a bike that will fit me well and the conditions that I ride in.

I'm 6'1", 200lbs and I like to ride a lot of trails. I enjoy downhill plunges off cliffs as well we single track and everything else. Jumps and other technical feats are fun as well, but never too extreme or as routine as I would like to make it.

I'm looking at getting a bike with full suspension and hydraulic disk breaks. Something light and durable that wont break the bank and w/o cheaply made components fitted onto it. If anyone could recommend a bike and size for me, I would be very appreciative.

I'm open up to all makes.

mtbr member
    You may want to take a look at my post about the Mongoose Teocali Elite and the Iron Horse MKIII. Both can be bought for $1000-1100 and are well-spec'd. The Teo has more travel and the MKIII has the proven dw-link. Both have hydro brakes and Revelation forks.
    Pivot Firebird, Tomac Snyper, KTM 250SX

banned
    Feb 2007
    Bike size will ultimately depend on your body type, inseam, arm length etc. It's an easy assumption you're probably a large (19-20 inches) if not and extra large (21 inches or greater).

Since everyone's body is different, I would strongly suggest going to a bike shop and sitting on a few bikes just to be sure which is most comfortable for you. Sizing on various brands differ based on their geometry and the type of riding the bike will be used for, so again that's another reason to sit on the bikes before you actually buy one. This is especially true for full suspension bikes.

Since you have a pretty generous budget I think it would be a good idea and try the local shops you might be able to find a good deal on last year's model.

Here are some of my favorites:
    Iron Horse MKIII - DW-link VPP
    Iron Horse Azure - DW-link VPP
    Giant Trance - maestro VPP
    Specialized Stumpjumper FSR - Horst link
    Specialized Enduro - Horst link
    Specialized FSR XC - Horst link
    Santa Cruiz Blur - VPP
    Mongoose Teocali - i-drive VPP
    Rocky Mountain ETSX-70 - VPP(?)
    Titus Motolite - Horst Link
    Titus Racer-X - Horst Link

others: (Single Pivot/Faux Bar bikes)
    Cannondale Rush
    Cannondale Prophet
    Trek Fuel
    Gary Fisher HiFi
    Jamis Dakar

Good luck

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    I just picked up a 07 Trek EX6 and couldn't be happier. I got a smoking deal from my LBS, plus free tune ups for life. The bike has performed well beyond my expectations, and look forward to riding the hell out of it for years to come.

I looked at a ton of bikes, Cannondale, Specialized, Ibex, Mongoose, Iron Horse, and the Trek seemed to take the cake. Good luck.

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    At rscycle.com both the MKIII and Azure are priced the same. What are the advantages of them both?

I went to a few local shops today, ones that Iron Horse had on their website and none of them had any Iron Horse bikes. I have about 4 dealers left to window shop at, I will try them later this week. Of the bikes I seen today I really liked the Stumpjumper and a few Santa Cruz models looked nice, but I would like to take a look at an Iron Horse before I make my final call.

BTW, it seems as if every ghetto bike shop sells Marin bikes. Are these bikes any good?

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Azure = XC
    MkIII = AM

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by taikuodo
    Azure = XC
    MkIII = AM
    Cool, got it!

Since neither are a DJ bike, if I did do occasional jump doesn't the MKIII look to be the better bike?

I just hear more people talking about the Azure than the MKIII. They also say that the Azure is very stong and they have yet to break it yet.

For the money, the Iron Horse Hollowpoint MKIII Comp 2006 looks like the bike to get.
    http://www.rscycle.com/s.nl/it.A/id....=7&category=55

That is unless someone can change my mind or the 21" frame is too much for me. I will try to test it out locally first.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ajmongoose
    Cool, got it!

Since neither are a DJ bike, if I did do occasional jump doesn't the MKIII look to be the better bike?

I just hear more people talking about the Azure than the MKIII. They also say that the Azure is very stong and they have yet to break it yet.

For the money, the Iron Horse Hollowpoint MKIII Comp 2006 looks like the bike to get.
    http://www.rscycle.com/s.nl/it.A/id....=7&category=55

That is unless someone can change my mind or the 21" frame is too much for me. I will try to test it out locally first.
    If you like bombing downhill and jumping, you defiantly want the MK3.

If they had one of the MK3's in a 17, I would own one for that price. 21 inch should be OK for you unless you have really short arms or something. Best bet is a test ride or measure a good fitting bike and see if the top tube is correct for you.

You will have enough money left over for a camelbak, riding shoes, gloves, helmet, tools, a pump and some gas $$$.

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by laurenlex
    If you like bombing downhill and jumping, you defiantly want the MK3.

If they had one of the MK3's in a 17, I would own one for that price. 21 inch should be OK for you unless you have really short arms or something. Best bet is a test ride or measure a good fitting bike and see if the top tube is correct for you.

You will have enough money left over for a camelbak, riding shoes, gloves, helmet, tools, a pump and some gas $$$.
    Nice. Looks like the M3 is everything I need. 21" sounds like a good fit.

I pretty much so have everything on your accessory list, I just don't know if I really dig shoe clamps or locks.

Thanks

ride hard take risks
    Nice. Looks like the M3 is everything I need. 21" sounds like a good fit.

I pretty much so have everything on your accessory list, I just don't know if I really dig shoe clamps or locks.

Thanks
    6'1" riding DH on a 21" is crazy, 19" yes.
    Formotion Products
    http://www.formot

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Yeah, I would say skip it.. 21 inch is huge, and your not going to like it if it doesn't fit you no matter how good the bike is.

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    rscycle seems to have the best prices bar none. Yet they don't even have all the sizes for their 07' models. Can anyone recommend another online dealer?

ride hard take risks
    rscycle seems to have the best prices bar none. Yet they don't even have all the sizes for their 07' models. Can anyone recommend another online dealer?
    The curent model year always take awhile for the full line to be available for distributation. Also the price is up for the new mode release as expected. Most major brands start doing blow out pricing on the over stock end of season.

Check out the Ibex Atlas series

http://www.ibexbikes.com/Stacks/Series_Atlas.html
    Formotion Products
    http://www.formot

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    If Randall Scott had the Iron Horse Hollowpoint MKIII Comp in 19" it would be mine already!

But since they dont, I'm limited to these three, priced from lowest to highest.

Iron Horse Azure Comp, IBEX Atlas Sport, Cannondale Prophet 6.

Out of those three what seems like the best deal?

I have yet to price the IBEX or Cannondale locally. If I am to consider them, they need to be lower than MSRP. The Iron Horse will be ordered online as dealer ready.

mtbr member
    Have you done a search for MKIII on the Iron Horse forum? Even though I ended up with a Teocali, I was strongly considering the MKIII and from what I read their frame sizes run small. You may want to look through their forum.
    Pivot Firebird, Tomac Snyper, KTM 250SX