Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

5.5 EVP Vs. ID Vs. Switchblade

882 views 14 replies 11 participants last post by  Jaybo 
#1 ·
Looking for a new frame. I'm comming of a single pivot Titus LocoMoto.
I don't race, just looking for the best all around trail bike I can find with a frame cost of under 2K.

#3 ·
SSINGA said:
No 5 Spot and X5 on your list? Both meet your price criteria. Both are excellent trail bikes.
The 5 spot is one I considered, I just don't want to muddy the waters with a ton of options.
I'm not to hot on the X-5, as it's a little on the heavier duty side than I think I need to be.
I don't ride a lot of downhill, I ride mostly tight technical woods trails in the northeast. Lots of up down, small drops, roots and rocks. I would give up a little high speed stability for better low speed control and better climbing. I think the X-5's head angle is a littel on the slack side for what I'm looking for. My short list right now is the Switchblade, 5-Spot, Id, and 5.5 EVP.

#4 ·
Hh125x

Sorry to add another option, but you might consider checking out the Hammerhead 125X (scroll down until you see a picture of an orange Ventana El Saltomontes and check out the text above it). I only mention it as it seems that you and I desire similar characteristics in a bike (i.e. a not too heavy trail bike with a not too slack head angle) and, to me anyway, the HH125X seems to fit the bill (please note that I have no affiliation with Hammerhead Bikes...I went through the same decision making process and arrived at this conclusion).

#7 ·
Locotiki said:
I'm not to hot on the X-5, as it's a little on the heavier duty side than I think I need to be.
I don't ride a lot of downhill, I ride mostly tight technical woods trails in the northeast.
Then you definitely owe it to yourself to consider the 5 Spot. In my experience the Turner bushing system does superbly in wet & muddy conditions. Easy maintenance & replacement (if it ever came to that; you should be able to go several years without having to think about it). Also excellent tire clearance.

#9 ·
Head angle

Locotiki said:
I think the X-5's head angle is a littel on the slack side for what I'm looking for. My short list right now is the Switchblade, 5-Spot, Id, and 5.5 EVP.
IIRC, the 2005 X5's head angle is very similar to those of the Switchblade and 5-Spot (69 degrees; I don't know about the Id or 5.5 though; its also worth noting that good deals can be had on the 2004 X5s, which have a 70 degree head angle...still have to deal with extra weight of the straight guage tubing, but I recall seeing at least a couple of ~28-29 lbs X5s posted on this site). I only mention the head angle as this was one reason that I didn't choose the 5-Spot or Switchblade. Good luck with whatever bike you choose.

#10 · (Edited)
motolite, giant maestro new iron horse mkiii

lushmd said:
Sorry to add another option, but you might consider checking out the Hammerhead 125X (scroll down until you see a picture of an orange Ventana El Saltomontes and check out the text above it). I only mention it as it seems that you and I desire similar characteristics in a bike (i.e. a not too heavy trail bike with a not too slack head angle) and, to me anyway, the HH125X seems to fit the bill (please note that I have no affiliation with Hammerhead Bikes...I went through the same decision making process and arrived at this conclusion).
the hammehead is a great option, but of course there is the Motolite that would cost you 1350 with all the quality you might wish and quad bearings at the main pivot.

for our first question the 5.5 is an exceptional bike: a blur on steroids it pedals like no other bike i tried, besides the blur, when standing.

this year i woud really take a close look at giant maestro and the new iron horse (mark iii) very promising design that are receiving great esrly reviews. quality is great, the giant in particular is outstanding and cost is about half of a 5.5 and 50% less than motolite :)

#11 ·
Thanks,
Right now I'm down to three choices. Titus Moto-Light, 5-Spot, and 5.5.
I couldn't see the reason to spend the extra cash on a switchblade when I could pick up the new motolight for much less $$$. I've heard enough stories of people breaking their Ids to stay clear of them. The only thing that is keeping me from jumping on the motolight is the rear tire clearance. I know it's not a problem on the 5-Spot, but does anyone know what it's like on the 5.5? I have a Titus Loco-Moto now, and they claim a 2.35 will fit, but my Conti 2.1 is even too close for comfort in my opinion. I think the clearance is the same on the motolight....so I've been told.

#12 ·
Locotiki said:
Thanks,
I couldn't see the reason to spend the extra cash on a switchblade when I could pick up the new motolight for much less $$$. I've heard enough stories of people breaking their Ids to stay clear of them. The only thing that is keeping me from jumping on the motolight is the rear tire clearance. I know it's not a problem on the 5-Spot, but does anyone know what it's like on the 5.5? I have a Titus Loco-Moto now, and they claim a 2.35 will fit, but my Conti 2.1 is even too close for comfort in my opinion. I think the clearance is the same on the motolight....so I've been told.
Tyre clearance is not brilliant on the 5.5. I run NBX 2.3's on mine, and there's very little room left which makes it a real pain in the mud. The 5.5 is an awesome bike in many respects - the quality of the frame is superb, and the way it accelerates is incredible. It's let down by the rear tyre clearance (and the steep head angle in my opinion, but this is purely subjective!!). If you regularly ride in the mud and like fattish tyres, it may not be the bike for you..

#13 ·
Locotiki said:
Thanks,
If you don't have a good LBS to help you make your decision you should contact Boutique Bikes in Maine. They carry (and stock) Turner, Intense, Ventana, and Yeti, and should be able to give you a better head to head comparison than most folks on this board. They also offer a nice discount for NEMBA members.

http://www.boutiquebikes.com/

#14 ·
I know you ruled it out due to $$$ but I wouldnt trade my Switchblade TALAS for anything. It does everything I need it to and is still relatively light for a 5.7" travel bike. Mine comes in at 25lbs 7 oz. The extra settings to make it 3.75", 4.5", or 5.7" at a flip of a switch comes in handy at times as well. No matter what you decide, I would stick with a Titus..... they make awesome rides.

#15 ·
Does your Titus LocoMoto fit well?

Locotiki said:
Looking for a new frame. I'm comming of a single pivot Titus LocoMoto.
I don't race, just looking for the best all around trail bike I can find with a frame cost of under 2K.
I would look at top tube sizing and overall geometry differences in the bikes before making a decision. Fit is the most important thing on a bike.

If you act today, Supergo has a 10% off coupon, so you can buy high-end frames cheaper. Check it out.

I'm a Turner Spot owner who has owned a Switchblade among other high-end frames. I owned a Tracer also. I like the Spot the best. It just works the best for me with a geometry I enjoy. I don't think it is the best bike out there but the best bike for me.

I hear the California edition of the ID is awesome. I have never ridden an ID.

The 5.5 looks intriguing. I just don't like the 23" top tube for a medium and a 24" top tube for a large. Leaves me out size wise. My 23" Tracer always felt way too small even with a long stem. Endo city!

The Switchblade is a great ride. I enjoyed the crude out of mine. I hear the new one is awesome. Tscheezy did a review on one and loved it. He said it felt a lot like a Spot.

Few ideas for you,

Jaybo

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.