Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: 410 rigid forks

mtbr member

410 rigid forks

Do they still exist? What are my options for a new one, besides a $300 custom?

mtbr member
    Surly 1 x 1 is 413mm...doubt you can tell the difference
    Former bicycle mechanic for 8 years, current soil scientist.

Blog

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Bike Whisperer View Post
    Surly 1 x 1 is 413mm...doubt you can tell the difference
    Surly 1X1 is a rock , I would search for something like a mid/late 90"s trek, or Kona P2 fork , but they would probably come in at 403mm and then find a high volume tall tire to make up the difference.

mtbr member
    Kona used to make a 410 P2, but I can't find one anywhere...seems like decent 26" stuff is pretty much gone...

Irritating.
    Mar 2004
    I'm fond of my Vicious cyclocross fork, they make a 413mm model that may fit your needs.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Fred Smedley View Post
    Surly 1X1 is a rock
    Hogwash...the 1 x 1 is a perfectly legit option and rides just fine. Plus it has lots of clearance to run a nice big tire to cush the ride.
    Former bicycle mechanic for 8 years, current soil scientist.

Blog

mtbr member
    Thanks for the replys so far, I appreciate it. I have a surly, and its great, and it's awesome at a lot of things, but it isn't compliant whatsoever. Like, compliant? not at all. But that's fine, it is a reasonable weight, and the whole bike is super precise, which is fun.

Thanks for pointing me towards the vicious. I have an if deluxe with no fork, the vicious would be a good match. Figuring a 650b with a 410 would put me right about the same place as the 428 the deluxe is designed for. Also, the vicious has less rake, which is a good thing, according to my opinion.

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Quote Originally Posted by fotu View Post
    Thanks for the replys so far, I appreciate it. I have a surly, and its great, and it's awesome at a lot of things, but it isn't compliant whatsoever. Like, compliant? not at all. But that's fine, it is a reasonable weight, and the whole bike is super precise, which is fun.

Thanks for pointing me towards the vicious. I have an if deluxe with no fork, the vicious would be a good match. Figuring a 650b with a 410 would put me right about the same place as the 428 the deluxe is designed for. Also, the vicious has less rake, which is a good thing, according to my opinion.
    Vicious Cycles closed shop several years ago. Will be tough to find a fork.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

mtbr member
    Hogwash...the 1 x 1 is a perfectly legit option and rides just fine. Plus it has lots of clearance to run a nice big tire to cush the ride.
    Agree 100%. The Surly 1x1 is an excellent fork and rides great with a steel or titanium frame.

mtbr member
    Hehe, the surly is a fine fork. I wouldn't call it excellent. The only way I am putting a 1x1 fork on a Deluxe is if I find one second hand for a reasonable price... I don't think I am going to buy one new, for this project.

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Quote Originally Posted by fotu View Post
    Hehe, the surly is a fine fork. I wouldn't call it excellent. The only way I am putting a 1x1 fork on a Deluxe is if I find one second hand for a reasonable price... I don't think I am going to buy one new, for this project.
    What is a "Deluxe"?
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

mtbr member
    Its a 26" hardtail frame produced by Independent Fabrication. I bought one second hand, without a fork. The stock fork is 432mm atc with 39mm rake.

In my mind, I was thinking if I could find a nice fork, like a triple butted kona P2 in 410, I could put a 650b wheel in the front, and have about the right front end geometry. As well as something different from my other mountain bikes, instead of just another rigid 26" hardtail.

mtbr member
    Salsa Vaya fork? I put one on my cross bike in order to raise the BB for trail riding and it is offered in two different offsets, 45mm or 50mm so you can even go as far as to dial in the rake/trail that you'll want to achieve. 415mm A-C.

Seems like you've got the right idea of running a shorter fork to compensate for the larger wheel and the option of being able to increase the offset for quicker handling (less trail) might also be nice. The 50mm offset will also give you 5mm more toe clearance.

Fat tire clearance would be the only concern - it clears 700x42s great and I can try to mount up a 26x2.3" if you're curious but I dont have any 650 wheels or tires to try out.

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    Just fine....... lets see, oversized single diameter (read STIFF) run of the mill straight gauge 4130, with a reputation for being stiff and harsh. After riding a Kona P2, Ritchey Logic and a triple butted high end GT Fork I am not buying it. I guess if you weigh 220 pounds it might be a good option. At 150pounds ,,,not.

mtbr member
    I weigh 190, and I feel nothing out of the Surly fork. But that's ok like I said. It's great for what it is.

Thanks again for the suggestions, going to go with a Salsa 425, unless I find anything second hand in the next few weeks.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Ritchey rigid carbon forks, the blade-like ones and not the new tube-like models, were 410s, I think.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by skyfire1202 View Post
    Ritchey rigid carbon forks, the blade-like ones and not the new tube-like models, were 410s, I think.
    Yep and made by Trigon, (mfg in Taiwan, not mainland China) still available on Ebay for about $190 shipped. 41.5 cm axel to crown according to the auctions and 460-500 grams depending on the vendor description. Comes in disc only or canti. I just bought the Picasia version (made by Trigon) for $175 shipped in 3k matte and it's a thing of beauty. The Ritchey WCS version sells for over $500 at CRC.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Are they really made by the same manufacturer? I've read somewhere that the Trigons are not as stiff as the Ritcheys, so I have kept mine (still with V-brake studs) just in case I wanted to build a full rigid hybrid bike with 650b front and 26" rear and would give me the closest geometry to my present 26" ride with 100mm front suspension. There are still no WW 650b forks out there so this couls be the lightest option, well, much lighter if it's disc-specific.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    I can't honestly say, but I have read from several sources (including this website) and a British website that they are the same fork. The fact that they are manufactured in Taiwon and not mainland China says a lot to me because most of the good carbon in the bike world is made there and the gov't there is very strict as far as knock off's go. All i can say is that the quality is evident upon close inspection and I look forward to adding it to my 1X9 rigid XC bike.that I am building up this winter. There is plenty of clearance for the larger tubeless tires that I plan on running.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Yep!!!

jl
    climb
    Maybe this...

www.NYCBikes.com
    Ride On!

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    How is that Picasia fork holding up? Are you running it with 650b's by chance? If 26", could you post a picture of the clearance? I have been looking at the Trigon for a 650b, but i came accross the Picasia on ebay. It's cheaper and the graphics are nice a subtle, which are both plusses.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Chello View Post
    How is that Picasia fork holding up? Are you running it with 650b's by chance? If 26", could you post a picture of the clearance? I have been looking at the Trigon for a 650b, but i came accross the Picasia on ebay. It's cheaper and the graphics are nice a subtle, which are both plusses.
    Sorry, it hasn't been installed yet. 20'F high temp yesterday with a foot of snow and ice on the ground, trails may not be open for months at this rate. It's for a 26", I can put a wheel on the fork and snap a pic if you want to see the clearance.

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    Blast! If you don't mind snapping a picture, that would be awesome. Based on the axle to crown measurement it should have room for a 650b as long as the crown itself isen't too thick.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Here you go

Has about 1 3/4" clearance above the tire (Kenda SB8 2.1). Should be enough room for 650b.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast