Thread: 3x9 to 2x9 help

mtbr member
    Jan 2006

3x9 to 2x9 help

considering making my scott genius a 2x9.
    had my bike a few years and its time to change or modify

never use the big ring...never, well, only to launch off logs..lol, well, not launch i suck, just to help get over as a battering ram.

did some searching with not great results so sorry if this is a tired topic.

whats involved? heres what I have now..

Shift Levers Shimano XT Rapid Fire
    Front Derailleur Shimano XT, E-type
    Rear Derailleur Shimano XTR Shadow
    Crankset Shimano XT Hollowtech 2, 22/32/44 teeth
    Rear Cogs 9-speed, 11 - 32 teeth
    Chain Shimano HG73

any recommendations?

cheers!

Titanium junkie
    Take your big chain ring off, install a bash-guard, and adjust
    the High limit screw on your front derailleur so you don't shift
    your chain off of your crank and viola, done .
    Climb into the sky, never wonder why - Tailgunner
    You're a Tailgunner

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    that easy eh?

I have an e13 from a past bike didn't think to be that simple...

Bicyclochondriac.
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by onabike View Post
    that easy eh?

I have an e13 from a past bike didn't think to be that simple...
    You mean an E13 bashguard ring or the chain guide? The bash ring goes on just like a normal chainring.

If you need a cheap but effective bash ring, look at a BBG bashring. $18 shipped.

The one addition step to those outlined above by Loudviking is to shorten you chain. Now that your 32t is your "big" ring, you can make it a lot shorter than when your 44 was the biggest ring. While this step is not required, the ability to run a shorter chain is (IMO), the biggest benefit of losing the big ring. Much less chain flopping around. Fewer dropped chains.

If you are unsure about how long your chain should be, go to the Park Tool site and look at their instructions for sizing a chain, keeping in mind that the 32t is now the "big" ring. Since I spend so much time in my 32 ring and my largest cogs, I add one more link than what that method indicates, but it is probably not needed.
    15mm is a second-best solution to a problem that was already solved.

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    iactually have both.. had Them fron a chumba evo I never put on...

Si Vis Pacem, Para Bellum
    Why not convert to 1X9?
    Big Wheels Keep On Rolling

Forth Eorlingas!

Bicyclochondriac.
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by CannondaleF9 View Post
    Why not convert to 1X9?
    Because he wants two rings up front?

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    thanks... great reference.. will definitely use...

bbg looks good..

great post thanks kapusta

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by CannondaleF9 View Post
    Why not convert to 1X9?
    i thought about it, just not sure about it... I imagine I would just be keeping the middle ring, but wasnt sure about spacing, and shifter set up...

mtbr member
    Back when everything came with 3x9 one of the first things I would do is ditch the outer ring and put on a bashring (I hate triple rings). They all probably come with any replacement hardware needed or your lbs can get it. Spacing and shifting between the granny and middle won't change, cranking down on the derailleur outer limit screw is all you need to do.
    To appreciate the flowers you must also walk among s**t to know the difference

Bicyclochondriac.
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by masterofnone View Post
    They all probably come with any replacement hardware needed or your lbs can get it
    All but one I've had used standard chainring bolts, so you just re-use that ones that you have if you are converting a 3x crank.

The BBG is that way.

mtbr member
    32T sprocket is to small. You should buy 38-42T sprocket - it depends on terrain you ride on usually. You can buy Specialites Chinnok sprocket. You may also need shorter screws - it depends on sprocket wide. The bigger sprocket mount in place of 32T. And a smaller sprocket of course - 24-28T. You don't need to replace spacers of bearings. I have set of M590 crank and 40/28 sprockets (specialites chinnok/shimano alivio). It works great in my rather flat area.

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    well, heading to the shop today...

my terrain is mainly small hills roots, mud and packed singletrack

Bicyclochondriac.
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by onabike View Post
    well, heading to the shop today...

my terrain is mainly small hills roots, mud and packed singletrack
    I would not bother buying new (bigger) chainrings (what sagit77 is calling a "sprocket") unless you find you actually need them. If you never use your big ring now, that is a good sign that you don't need a lager ring than 32t.

Buying new rings turns an $18 project into a $75 one (if not more, depending on the rings you get).

mtbr member
    Ok, my mistake , language barrier. But I still think Onabike should have a bigger chainring. 32T have to little potential.

Bicyclochondriac.
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by sagitt77 View Post
    Ok, my mistake , language barrier. But I still think Onabike should have a bigger chainring. 32T have to little potential.
    No problem on the language, you are way more bilingual than I am

You are correct, it IS a "sprocket", I was just clarifying that we were talking about the same thing. We use the term "chainring" to refer to a front sprocket, and a "cog" to refer to a rear sprocket (or "cassette" to refer to all the cogs together)

mtbr member
    Thanks for explanation. I have to read glossary of cycling . Your alias means that you are bilingual to, am I right? Are we nationals ?

Bicyclochondriac.
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by sagitt77 View Post
    Thanks for explanation. I have to read glossary of cycling . Your alias means that you are bilingual to, am I right? Are we nationals ?
    Unfortunately, bad accents (and my screen name) are about as bilingual as I get

No, I'm not from Poland. My great-grandparents on my dad's side all came from Poland, though, which is sort of where Kapusta comes from. Their last name was actually slightly different (I have no idea how to spell it, I've heard it sounds something like "ka-poosh"). Like so many other names, it probably got butchered at Ellis Island when my great grandfather emigrated here, thus his last name became "Kapusta".

My grandfather was his only son, and he ended up changing his last name for business reasons around 1930 (a pretty amazing story in itself, my current last name is also due to an awful mis-spelling), and the "Kapusta" name was destined to be lost. About 20 years ago, my one male cousin and I decided we needed to bring the name back, and we both use it a lot when we can.

Sorry for the thread derailment.

I've been running a 2x9 with a 32t ring for many years and it is really about perfect for the terrain around here (southwestern VA, WV, and western NC). Same would be true if I lived up in the northeast US where the OP is from (NY). Only place I spin out is on pavement or some fire roads.

mtbr member
    Interesting story. I am sending you a private message in order to prevent the following digression