Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

29er vs. 26--Tallboy/Yeti ASR/Kona Satori/Rocky Mtn Altitude 50--Help!

1K views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  icsloppl 
#1 ·
Looking for advice here (I know I am not the first)....

I live in SW Montana and currently ride an older Kona and I am looking to buy something newer (a demo/slightly used bike) and I have been looking at something in the Trail/XC and maybe the All Mountain Categories. My budget is a little below $2K thus I am looking at bikes from 2011-2013 (2013 on a demo closeout, etc).

I ride mostly trail in town with good climbs, so I would want something that climbs well...I don't plan on doing big lift assisted downhill with the bike but who knows...I just want a versatile bike that climbs well and is a good bike for this area of Montana.

That being said, I have not ridden a 29er but the hype is out there especially at the local shops here. Should I go with a 29er or would a 26 be better for the type of riding? I am 6' tall so I assume a Large frame will work for me....

A few bikes I have been looking at thus far (open to suggestions) include:

Yeti ASR
Rocky Mountain Altitude 50
Kona Satori
Santa Cruz Tallboy and Blur (and Bronson)
Pivot is sweet but too $$$ for my budget
I have also considered a Fuel EX8/9 or Specialized FSR

Any help would be appreciated! Just trying to make a good choice!

Thanks!!!

See less See more
#4 ·
For 2k you're not going to get the bikes you're looking at, at least new. Your best bets are either to use Craig's List, perhaps in the Boise area, or look at something you can get an end of year discount on, which would be good since they're going on now.

If you go the new / discount route, consider -

Specialized Bicycle Components

or

Anthem X 29er 1 (2014) - Bikes | Giant Bicycles | United States

They are somewhat heavier than the best available, but both are excellent aluminum frame bikes that can take a lot of abuse and not limit your advancment as a rider.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.