Thread: 29er vs 26 FS

mtbr member
    Nov 2004

29er vs 26 FS

I know this question has probably been asked many times.... I'm in the market for a new bike and am trying to decide between a 29 HT and a short travel 26 FS. I currently have a 26" HT(very upgraded Trek 6700) and a 5.5"(04 Giant VT2) trial bike. The HT beats me to death but I like the climbing it offers and the simplicity, the 5.5 is plush but heavy and kinda a dog on the climbs. I ride mostly in Eastern TN with very many hills, rocks, roots. The local riders are almost split down the middle on this choice. I'm looking to spend around $2500, maybe a Anthem X 2 or a XTC 1 29er. I am not stuck on Giant, but I like the LBS and with Giant you seem to get alot for your money. I'm 5'11" and weigh 210 lbs. Any input would be appreciated. Thanks

locked - time out
    Jan 2007
    29 er isn't the best choice for climbing.. Especially if you're getting beat up by your 26 ht

dru
    mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    That's funny, my 29er HT climbs like a goat.

Its rigid fork does like to lay a beating on my when going fast though!

Drew
    occasional cyclist

mtbr member
    I like 29ers so I'd say look at that route. And you wouldn't need to spend all that 2500.

Get a 29er puta nice fat front tire on like a fat bonty or rampage. Then a tire of choice on the rear and have at it.

My 29er climbs awesome and helps climbing over those small obstacles that stop you on a 26er unless you hop it.
    2009 Paragon

Former Bike Wrench
    Quote Originally Posted by jkkfam89
    29 er isn't the best choice for climbing.. Especially if you're getting beat up by your 26 ht
    Where did you get that information from

29ers have heavier wheels and tires, but actually have MORE traction and a 29er HT provides a much smoother ride than a 26er HT