mtbr member
    Oct 2011

26er, NIMBLE, rigid, SS, steel, disc, does this exist?

I have a full suspension 29 but there are some trails in my area that are smooth, hardpacked dirt and teh 29er feels like a sluggish pig on them. They have small hills, small climbs, small decents, not really any roots or rocks to worry about. They build these trails in small areas so they are packed with very tight, twisty turns with trees at every apex. What kind of bike would make these trails fun? Dirt jumper? They seem to have the handling charicteristics I'm looking for but I'd prefer brakes on both wheels and a saddle I can sit on and pedel. I don't want to spend much on this bike since we have to travel to hit these trails, used would be prefered. My local trails are much more suited for my full suspension. All my friends like these other trails though so we take trips to hit them up, but I think they're going to build one locally so I'd like to have something a little more suited to that style of riding.

mtbr member
    What do your friends ride on these trails? Will they be willing to trade for a loop?

To answer the title question, a rigid SS steel disc 26er does exist. You could probably find a used one. I was recently asked about NOS Bianchi MUSS that someone was considering purchasing, but they went with a Monocog.

To pose a question, are you nimble?

Are you asking about a Canfield Nimble? In that case, I don't know if it exists.
    No fuss with the MUSS

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    Newbie here, feel free to lose these two pennies I'm about to throw in your piggy bank. Any who, even though this bike is an aluminum 8spd dirtjumper look into a Mongoose fireball. Now let me scurry out of here.

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by dbhammercycle View Post
    What do your friends ride on these trails? Will they be willing to trade for a loop?

To answer the title question, a rigid SS steel disc 26er does exist. You could probably find a used one. I was recently asked about NOS Bianchi MUSS that someone was considering purchasing, but they went with a Monocog.

To pose a question, are you nimble?

Are you asking about a Canfield Nimble? In that case, I don't know if it exists.
    Some of the friends I ride with only have one bike, those are usually low end 29er hardtails better suited for our local trails. Even these bikes are overkill for these trails I'm talking about. I couldn't find that M.U.S.S. but the monocog is similiar to what I'm looking for. Do you have any experience with riding one? I kinda want the feel of a bmx bike but a little bigger wheels and I need to be able to pedal it while seated. The Canfield is a 29er, my friend rides one and he loves it but they only do 29ers in it.

mtbr member
    I do not have experience with the Redline, but there are others on this site that yodel the benefits from the top of their mountain. You can probably find some threads via the search function in the 29er or Singlespeed forums. Sometimes, I find google can be a better search engine for the mtbr threads than the one at the top of the page. Anyway, I would also search your local craigslist or local used bike sites or stores. Good luck.
    No fuss with the MUSS

mtbr member
    If it helps, a little older but filled with options.
    Who makes quality single speed 26er frames these days?
    No fuss with the MUSS

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    Perfect! Thanks, I really didn't know what to search for.

mtbr member
    Anybody still like their 26" Hardtail?

You may want to check out this thread as well.
    No fuss with the MUSS

mtbr member
    Surly 1x1
    older Redline Monocog

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by c_mack9 View Post
    Some of the friends I ride with only have one bike, those are usually low end 29er hardtails better suited for our local trails. Even these bikes are overkill for these trails I'm talking about. I couldn't find that M.U.S.S. but the monocog is similiar to what I'm looking for. Do you have any experience with riding one? I kinda want the feel of a bmx bike but a little bigger wheels and I need to be able to pedal it while seated. The Canfield is a 29er, my friend rides one and he loves it but they only do 29ers in it.
    I've owned a Monocog Flight 29-er. Loved that bike.
    A bit of history, I started riding when there was no such thing as a suspension mountain bike. But didn't really, make it a lifestyle until 6yrs ago. I went from my '96 Stumpjumper to a Cannondale Rush to a Monocog Flight rigid SS 26-er. And then finally I built my own long travel 26" hardtail.

In terms of tight turns, with some roots, the rigid, steel, 29-er, SS:

Plus - You feel the terrain. You have to adapt, move around, dance with your bike.
    Minus - You feel the terrain. You can't just sit and pedal and steer. Especially on hardpacked, little undulations that go undetected on a full squishy are felt especially as pace picks up (even on "smooth" trails).

But, I definitely feel more one with the bike. The pure, raw feel of when you first got on a bmx bike. You didn't worry about what gear to use. If it's an uphill, you gathered momentum earlier and pounded up the hill. On the downhills or anywhere else, you are standing and dancing over obstacles and jumps. Heck, back then, we didn't really have functional brakes.

But SS bikes are rather anti-social. You have to go fast on the uphill and you will pedal out on the flats and downhills. So your pace is so different than everyone else.

And once your fitness falls a bit, it's a ***** to ride with your old buddies.

Hence, my long travel hardtail with 1x9 drivetrain. Basically a can-do-anything bike.
    Just get out and ride!

mtbr member
    I used to have a Bianchi SASS and now own a monocog 29er. Both are awesome bikes.