mtbr member
    Jan 2012

26" rigid fork: suspension corrected?

Hey all! Not sure where this post should actually go. Looked for a 26" MTB specific forum and there isn't one. So, this looked like the best place, really.

Anyhow........

I got my hands on a Specialized Hardrock frame for free. It came with an 80mm travel fork, but the fork is one of those cheap ones...RST or something like that.....and is all shot to ****. No matter! I don't want a suspension fork. I'm looking for a rigid fork to build up something like this:

sabrosa cycles: quite possibly the ugliest thing I have ever built

....only in a 26" format with plans for an eventual 650b conversion. There's enough clearance in the frame (and suspension fork, for reference.....s'why I believe a sus correct fork would work for my intention >>>)for 650b wheels/tires. Definitely in 2.1" and probably up to 2.3.

I've looked at and deliberated over a 29'r, but....meh....I just don't like how they handle. I'm quite used to and relish a snappier, more agile ride. I'm 5'7, but the 29'r size/fitment itself isn't what turns me off. It's the feeling of riding a tank when I just want a Jeep.

I haven't been able to spot what I'm looking for in google searches. I've only found something like the Salsa and Surly forks. I don't want any rake/bend to the blades, just some offset in the crown area.....much like in the photo above. Also, I'd much prefer that the blades did not taper so much as with the Salsa fork. More of a uniform blade like....again......in the photos. Oh.....and I'd rather not have disc tabs. But, if I had to go that way, I would. It just needs to have canti/v-brake bosses. Wanting to minimize the weight, eh! No carbon, though! Thanks....just steel would be great.

I hope this is not something I'm gonna have to look at going custom. Otherwise, I will just scrap the idea. Budget build and free frame, afterall. That in mind, sub $60 range is what I'm shooting for.

Anyway, any input you guys might have to "steer" me in the desired direction would be great. Thank you kindly!

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Oh, and one last thing. I'd really like a fork with a crown like the one in the pic. Not one of those unicrowns or whatever they're called wherein the crown is simply the blades curved in towards the steering tube and welded.

Meh....maybe I am looking at custom, eh? Hope not.....

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    This looks to be what you are looking for. You will have to go Disc & Canti though. If you want more info on the fork go to the On-One UK site. It will give you more info on products than the US site. I ride a On-One 456 steel love the brand.

On-One CroMo 26er MTB Fork

mtbr member
    the Surly 1x1 for is an 80mm suspension corrected rigid fork with disc or canti mounts
    Mountain bikers who don't road ride have no legs...
    Road riders who don't mountain bike have no soul...

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Man!!!!!!!! That's f'n perfect!!!!!!!! Thanks a gazillion!

Edit: The On-One fork, that is. The Surly fork has the curved blade/unicrown thing going on. Not really what I'm looking for, but thanks just the same.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012

... and if we just ...

Quote Originally Posted by chilly79 View Post
    This looks to be what you are looking for. You will have to go Disc & Canti though. If you want more info on the fork go to the On-One UK site. It will give you more info on products than the US site. I ride a On-One 456 steel love the brand.

On-One CroMo 26er MTB Fork
    Say, man.....you mentioned the US supplier. So, any of the products on the UK site can be acquired through the US supplier? Sure would save on shipping cost. Means I could add a 25.4 Midge to the order. T'would be nice.

OTOH, in lieu of getting the On-One fork, the straight bladed Surly fork is for 100mm's of sus' correction. That's a 2cm difference. I experimented with setting the frame up approximately 2cm up from the fork crown just to see how much that additional height would throw the geo' off. Doesn't "look" like much, really. Would it be real noticeable in the ride, though? Yeah....I know. I said no on the unicrown business, but....well....it may boil down, really, to whichever I can get more easily/cheaply. The unicrown doesn't look that bad, I suppose:

http://www.velouostas.lt/blog/wp-con...873262e9_b.jpg

That's still pretty sexy.
    Last edited by thook; 05-17-2012 at 11:37 AM.

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by thook View Post
    Say, man.....you mentioned the US supplier. So, any of the products on the UK site can be acquired through the US supplier? Sure would save on shipping cost. Means I could add a 25.4 Midge to the order. T'would be nice.

OTOH, in lieu of getting the On-One fork, the straight bladed Surly fork is for 100mm's of sus' correction. That's a 2cm difference. I experimented with setting the frame up approximately 2cm up from the fork crown just to see how much that additional height would throw the geo' off. Doesn't "look" like much, really. Would it be real noticeable in the ride, though? Yeah....I know. I said no on the unicrown business, but....well....it may boil down, really, to whichever I can get more easily/cheaply. The unicrown doesn't look that bad, I suppose:

Google Image Result for http://www.velouostas.lt/blog/wp-content/uploads/2010/05/1992211996_d7873262e9_b.jpg

That's still pretty sexy.
    The website is this. Planet X USA Web Store
    They bought up Titus and used their website for the US site.
    They have the midge bars for sale there to for $19.99.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by chilly79 View Post
    The website is this. Planet X USA Web Store
    They bought up Titus and used their website for the US site.
    They have the midge bars for sale there to for $19.99.
    Joy!! Thanks, again, chilly!