mtbr member

21" Giant XtC fram and Steerer tube lenght question

HiI'm in the near beginning stages of rebuilding my 04' Giant XtC team frame, which is a bit oversized for me, by probably 2". It was given to me a few years back and really i do enjoy the high profile i get riding it. I'm about to switch out the Rock Shox Judy's which may be 80mm, i'm not quite sure, with 100 mm Fox float RL fit remote. What i'm wondering is, should i alter the length of the steerer tube, meaning, should i cut it at a different length, than what the Rock Shox are set atI did read that the Fox forks should have no more than 30mm of spacer height, which is what is already there. I had to lower the handle bars/stem when i first got the bike. But i added spacers to the top, the ones that were on the bottom already.Also, the headset currently on it, is an FSA 45 degree. I may still have to take time to figure out if the bearing need to be replaced. Since i'm working on a Specialized Rockhopper first (my winter bike) and doing much of the same work. But I already know how to deal with the Rockhopper, it's a smaller frame, and i'm just switching out 100mm Manitou forks (Splice Comp to Marvel Pro).anyways any help would be great. if i'm in the wrong section...sorry.
    "Well, I asked her for water, and she gave me gasoline." Tommy Johnson, by Big Sugar

mtbr member
    Measure twice cut once Once you shorten a steerer tube there is no going back.

I have a bike with only one 5mm (1/5 inch) spacer under the stem.

More than likely you can reduce the travel on the Fox fork to 80mm as well.
    Duct tape iz like teh Force. It has a Lite side and a Dark side and it holdz the Universe together.

mtbr member
    thanks. I think I'll just keep it the same length for now, even though it is a bit long. I was probably over thinking things a bit yesterday.
    "Well, I asked her for water, and she gave me gasoline." Tommy Johnson, by Big Sugar