mtbr member
    May 2014

New question here. 2014 Diamondback Trace Comp - Assistance & Criticisms?

I've had my eye on this bike for a couple weeks now, it's got all the features I'd like to see on a dual sport bike in this price range ($650~ - aluminum frame, 700c wheels, disc brakes, 9 speed, fender mounts) - definitely appreciating it, from what I've read.

Diamondback Bicycles - Trace Comp

Being rather inexperienced in quality bikes, I was wondering if you guys could give me a heads up on the overall build of this bike - worth the money? What's it's limits, how tough is it? How are the Shimano parts? I'm 5'11 @ 133 pounds, 33" inseam, would the 20" be the best bet, or would I be better off with a 22"? Plan to ride 75% of the time on pavement/asphalt with the occasional dirt & gravel maybe even grass paths.

Any and all feedback is welcomed & appreciated - if you think you can recommend a better bike around that price range with similar features, by all means - I've seen quite a bit of bashing on Diamondbacks, most of it seems opinionated.

mtbr member
    May 2014
    I realize now this ride isn't one that would normally be entertained on these forums, being a dual sport. Nonetheless, I went ahead with the purchase and I'm thoroughly enjoying it so far!

I'm posting this update for future reference, should anyone find this thread, interested in the 2014 Diamondback Trace Comp (it's too bad no one else was of any help).

I've documented my unboxing and assembly of the bike in this YouTube video; https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q3r7oRXIiD0
    (All footage was first take, first video of this kind I've ever attempted!)

This bike's definitely going to be a staple on my channel (and in my daily grind), so expect future videos and updates, for anyone interested.

Everyone else, enjoy your mountain bikes.