mtbr member
    Jul 2013

2013 GT Karakoram 2.0 (29er) vs. Diamondback Overdrive Sport (29er)

Hello all,

I recently relocated to Austin, TX and am interested in getting involved in mountain biking. I am a complete novice and have not ridden a bike since I was a little kid. I'm primarily looking for a good entry level bike, but I do not want to spend a TON of money in case mountain biking is not for me.

Through my company, I am able to get a discount on the Diamondback Overdrive Sport. I can get this bike for $522 shipped and it has an MSRP of $750. I do realize that this is a very entry level bike and some people seem to not like it on this forum.

Since there are so many bikes available in Austin, I have been checking craigslist for deals. I stumbled upon a 2013 GT Karakoram 2.0 for $700 on craigslist and it has been used 7-8 times.

Is the GT bike worth the extra $180 even though it is used? Or should I go strictly with the new bike?

Any opinions would be GREATLY appreciated.

Kevin

mtbr member
    The GT is marginally better(fork, drivetrain), but I am not sure that its worth $700 used.

The most important thing is finding a bike that fits you well. What frame size are you looking for?

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    I am looking for a medium frame, so the used one will work for me. So you would recommend the Overdrive Sport for $525 for a complete beginner?

mtbr member
    Here are some better deals:
    Nice bike for the money 26er
    LAPIERRE MTB
    Older, but would be a great first bike
    Specialized Stumpjumper 18"
    Decent older FS in your price range
    Specialized Stumpjumper FSR 100 - Large

If you really want a new bike at a great deal check out Airborne.

Airborne Bicycles

mtbr member
    May 2013
    I have a 2012 GT Karakoram 2.0. It was the first new bike I bought. It's a decent entry level bike. I paid $ 600 at Performance Bike for mine, I'm guessing you can get a similar deal at one near you.I'll agree with the guy who recommended Airborne, they seem to offer a good component build for a good price. The only downer is they are direct order so no way to test ride one before buying. I would recommend test riding both bikes and see which one fits better.I would also recommend trying to see if you can rent a bike at a local shop for some trail use before buying to see if you want to get into the sport.I can't complain about my GT, I replaced the pedals within 3 months due to one of them developing at screeching noise from the bearings. The rear derailleur has needed a lot of adjustments. I think the pedals and adjustments are more of my lack of riding experience than defects, I fell a lot starting out.
    2012 GT Karakoram
    2013 Scott Genius 940

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    It looks like I should stay away from the $700 GT. Thanks for the suggestions guys, I was planning on purchasing that today!

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by moefosho View Post
    Here are some better deals:
    Nice bike for the money 26er
    LAPIERRE MTB
    Older, but would be a great first bike
    Specialized Stumpjumper 18"
    Decent older FS in your price range
    Specialized Stumpjumper FSR 100 - Large

If you really want a new bike at a great deal check out Airborne.

Airborne Bicycles
    Thanks for these links, i really appreciate you taking the time to do that. That Specialized Stumpjumper 18" looks pretty great and affordable for me.

Why do you think the price is so low? I know that this is an expensive bike, so I was confused on why it was only $450.

Since I don't have any experience riding or buying a bike, I don't want to buy a secondhand one that will break on me real soon.

For reference, this is the GT listing:

2013 GT Karakoram 2.0 (29er)

mtbr member
    Ya I saw that GT listing on there.

The stumpjumper is priced that low because it looks like a 2003 or 2004 model.

It has all nice drivetrain on it that will probably last longer than the stuff on the GT.

It has Avid BB5 or BB7 brakes which are the best mechanical disc brakes you can buy.

The main thing that you might have to replace is the front fork, but that would still keep you in a pretty cheap price point.

Yes, it is a little bit older, but since it is your first bike you can save a lot of money and have a great bike to ride if it is older and in great shape. That frame is really light and so are the components.

If you can pick it up for 350-400 then you can ride it for a year or 2 and save up for a bike that you really want. And in a year sell it for what you paid for it. That is the great thing about used bikes... very little depreciation.

If you want a guide to buying a used bike I can post that.