mtbr member
    Jan 2004

New question here. 2012 Kona Kahuna Deluxe - other options?

I'm getting back into riding after taking a number of years "off" for various reasons. Needless to say, a lot has changed. I'm in southern Ontario, so I'm thinking a 29er is probably very well suited to the type of terrain we have. For the money I'm willing to spend (~$1750), I'm looking at a decent HT rather than a mediocre FS machine. I'm 6'0", 185lbs and (was) a fairly technical rider.

The type of riding I do will honestly probably be fairly XC, but do like to do more technical riding on occasion - which for me means some faster, steep-ish rocky descents, smaller drops, etc.

Basically, I'm looking for a relatively burly XC machine that isn't going to want to send me over the handlebars on steeper technical descents (like my previous XC machine - an old steel-frame Rockhopper that I beat the sh*t out of).

Other than this, one of my main criteria is that the bike has a decent fork on it with a reasonable amount of travel (~120mm). I'm willing to replace other components if I need to, but buying a good aftermarket fork is just too expensive, especially since a crappy stock fork has little aftermarket value to sell. I just don't see the value in this.

So....I'm thinking that the new Kona Kahuna Deluxe might fit the bill:

KONAWORLD

In my crazier moments, I was thinking about the Honzo, but that is probably overkill.

In any case, what do you all think? What else would you suggest in this price range?

Thanks!
    Last edited by Shibby; 03-19-2012 at 09:51 AM. Reason: just added details

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Check out Sette, you might be pleasantly surprised.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    What did you end up with?

I have been thinking about the Kahuna Deluxe and was waiting to hear from somebody else that had bought one.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    I own last years Kona Kahuna that I have changed to SRAM 2x10 X0 and X9 components as well as Roval wheels and a Marzocchi air fork, I absolutely love it! I'm not as tall as you but I weigh about 185lbs and the bike is just great. Can't go wrong with the Kona's.