mtbr member
    Dec 2011

2011 Trek Hifi Plus or Giant Trance X3

Hi,

I'm looking to buy a new bike and I need some help. I'm trying to decide between two bikes that the local shops have on sale right now. The 2011 Trek HIfi Plus for 1799 or the Giant Trance X3 for 1750. Any thoughts? I could really use the help since I haven't bought a new bike in over 20 years.....I know, it's about time. I'm tried of my friends passing me on the trail and It's time for me to step up and buy something new.

T.W.O.
    Hifi is a 29er and Trance X is a 26er. Which one fit you better? What kind of riding do you do? Both bikes would just blow your mind they are very good. Find the one that gives you most service a la lifetime tune up, discount on accessories, friendly staffs, closer to home.

It would be a much easier decision for me if it's a comparison between Rumblefish and Trance and both fit you. I'd go with Rumblefish

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    I'm mainly an all mountain rider. Love the uphill just as much as the down. Not in to taking many big air jumps, but I do love to charge it down a single track trail. Most of the trails around here are fairly technical.

Yes, the hifi is a 29er. I've never ridden one but it seem like it would be a nice change.

Thanks for your advice!

mtbr member
    Ride them both. Buy the one that fits and feels the best.
    Originally Posted by Vtolds/Dremer03---- "assume any bikes left unlocked and unattended are free to take"

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Conklin11 View Post
    Hi,

I'm looking to buy a new bike and I need some help. I'm trying to decide between two bikes that the local shops have on sale right now. The 2011 Trek HIfi Plus for 1799 or the Giant Trance X3 for 1750. Any thoughts? I could really use the help since I haven't bought a new bike in over 20 years.....I know, it's about time. I'm tried of my friends passing me on the trail and It's time for me to step up and buy something new.

I was in a similar situation. I had a great ride - Giant ATX 780, rigid everything from 1991. Just made the move to the Trek HiFi plus - same price as you are talking. Riding was a religious experience first ride was yesterday. While I can't vouch for the Giant I can say the 29er was worth it and the HiFi is a great ride and a incredible value.

mtbr member
    I agree. I just had my first ride on my new Epic 29er yesterday and it rips over everything easier then the 26" wheels.

mtbr member
    29er's don't swich direction as quickly, and take a bit more to get up to speed, but have advantages, especially if you don mostly XC riding, which it sounds like you are. 29er's eat up milage, but you will suffer a performance hit when you point the nose downhill, they just aren't as nimble as the smaller wheeled counterparts. If true All - mountain riding is what you;re after, and fast techincal downs are your ride of choice, you may want to stick with the 26in wheel. I ride both sizes, love them both, but for different reasons. As others said, ride both, see what you like best. Or, do what I do. GET BOTH! haha
    -Eric
    Keeping the hardtail dream alive, one ride at a time.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    trance! treks break easy

T.W.O.
    Quote Originally Posted by jandrea95 View Post
    trance! treks break easy
    How do you know?

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    I ended up getting the Trek about a month ago. I've traveled over 150 miles on it so far. Had a couple small problems with it at first with some slight squeaking in the back shock and cranks but the folks at the bike shop fixed that right away. Since those tweaks the bike has been great. It climbs like a champ and pretty much roles over everything on the down hill. Sometimes I have to force myself to slow down because I'm going so fast.

I'm going to make a couple of changes to the bike with replacing the handlebars because they aren't long enough for my liking and I'm also going to replace the rear tire because it doesn't have enough tread for my liking.

Altogether I'm very happy with the my choice. It's been of tons of fun out on the trail and for the money it was a great deal.