mtbr member

2011 Stumpjumber Comp or 2013 Camber 29er

I'm looking to get back into riding and have found two bikes within my price range. They are:

A 2013 Specialized Camber 29er
    Specialized Bicycle Components

or

A 2011 Specialized Stumpjumper Comp
    Specialized Bicycle Components

What would you choose? I know that the Camber being a 29er plays a big factor as well. Thanks for the input!

mtbr member
    After owning a 2011 Stumpjumper FSR Comp (and selling it because I didn't like it) and test riding a 2013 Camber FSR 29'er a few times, my vote is for the Camber. I am a fan of 26" trail bikes, but that Stumpy just isn't up to par with the new Camber. You get a standard 1-1/8" headtube and standard 100m front/135mm rear quick release dropouts on the Stumpy. It just felt flexy and not very solid. Once I rode the Camber, besides the noticeable difference in how it rolled and the momentum of the larger tire, my initial thought was how the frame and overall bike just felt solid. You get a tapered headtube and 142mm thru axle on the rear, which really stiffens up the frame. The Camber felt faster, quicker, and I personally liked the 110mm of suspension for my local trails more than 140mm of travel with smaller wheels. If I'm not mistaken, you pretty much get the same component group, so there's not much difference there. But, for what it's worth, from a guy who's ridden each...that's my input.

*edit* I test rode the Camber Comp 29...same frame and features as the Camber 29, but has the Sram X7/X9 component group like the 2011 Stumpjumper FSR Comp.

mtbr member
    I appreciate the reply! Thanks for the insight, I think I'm going to go to my lbs and check out the Camber today and see how it feels.

mtbr member
    I definitely suggest a test ride. You'll probably notice what I was saying about each frame even just by riding around a parking lot. Post up what you decide or if you have any more questions! I've got some trail time on each, so I can offer some further insight!

mtbr member
    Thanks for the help! Do you feel you can still tackle all the technical stuff on the camber and sharp switchback turns? I haven't ridden in years so I don't know how the 29er compares to a 26.

mtbr member
    The 26 was definitely a little more playful feeling, but what the 29'er lacked in snappiness, it made up for in how it rolled. I felt like the 140mm of suspension on the Stumpy made it a bit sluggish though. My local trails don't need that much travel. 110mm and 29" wheels was a great match for what I ride.