banned
    Mar 2004

2010 SJ FSR Expert Carbon or 2010 Foes Racing XCT-5?

OK. I'm torn. I have an 08 SJ FSR Pro with Hope Mono M-4's, CK hubs Fox Float RLC 140 15QR and host of other goodies. I am both a Specialized and a Foes Racing dealer.

Here's my dilemma; Should I get a 2010 SJ FSR Expert Carbon (didn't go pro cause I'm gonna put all of parts on it anyway and I don't like the color scheme of the 2010 Pro) or the Foes Racing XCT-5? I've ridden both, well actually our XCT-4 demo, and I love both...and hate both at the same time. What I like about the SJ FSR...very active rear suspension. I can get on those rear brakes hard as hell and not lock out the rear end. Very smooth and plush but still pedals well. What I don't like about the SJ FSR...after riding the XCT-4 the SJ feels like a wet noodle! The SJ has way more lateral flex.
    What I like about the Foes...Man that thing is laterally stiff!! No flex perceptible at all! Feels like driving a Ferrari through the wood but without a steep head tube angle and all that twitchyness. Curnutt rear shock. You can really get that thing to pedal well and still be plush over obstacles. Low spring rate on the air spring makes it very smooth. This thing looks HOT! What I DON't like about the Foes...one...no..two words......single pivot. Man...after riding single pivots before and riding the SJ...I really like the braking performance of a fully active rear suspension. Thought about putting a floating brake adapter but really don't want an 8" rotor and all that complexity in the rear end.

Whatay'all think?

banned
    Mar 2004
    Anyone? Bueller? Bueller?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mtbikernc69
    Anyone? Bueller? Bueller?

I just hate to see a thread were someone is asking for help or feedback and NOBODY does or says anything...I was never big on Specialized but I must admit the 2010 line-up from the big s is very very impressive...I don't get and never have the whole Foes thing, but that's not to say they don't make great bikes...If it was me as a Dealer I would go with Specialized as I just can't see how you could go wrong..IMHO..good luck.....CF.

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    hi
    i'm sorry, but i can't help you because i only know stumpjumpers. i love them. and i wan't to buy a new fsr carbon expert. it has the best design ever
    but i cannot find the weight - do you know it?
    (sorry for asking instead of answering)
    susan

mtbr member
    Take it for what it is worth, but the british mag, WMB (what mountain bike) just reviewed the new Stumpjumper and loved the bike. Found nothing to complain about and said it as head and shoulders above everything else. Better than the Mojo, better than the 5-spot.

banned
    Mar 2004
    Thanks for everyone's answers (and questions ) I already pulled the trigger on the Foes Racing. They gave me an Employee Purchase (Hope so, as I'm the owner :O ) price on an 09 XCT-5. It actually has 5.5 inches of rear travel like the 2010 SJ FSR. It wasn't a matter of this bike sucks and that bike rocks. It was a case of they both rock but which one rock's harder. Kind of like a battle of the bands between Metallica and Megadeath. Well...Megadeath won this time. Metallica is just going to have to sit a few rounds out. I've ridden the Foes and even though it's 1 pound heavier than the Specialized, you don't feel it. The Curnutt Air shock IS truly amazing. And the lateral stiffness isn't even comparable. It is that good and it is that stiff. And I got a bonus...it's a raw frame so all I have to do is take the decals off and have it painted! That was one of my top 3 criteria for the bike. Now if I can just figure out between Ferrari Red or Kawasaki Green. Anyone? Beuller?

mtbr member
    Not sure what you mean by "You're the owner", not sure if that mean's youre FOES himself or if I'm misinterpreting this... I think you win in life. I'm JUST beginning to save the $5,000-$6,000 it's going to take to get my ass on a 2010 FOES XCT-5 as the frame and it's large member: Curnutt shock is running about $2800. That along with an full XT group, and a decent front shock, wheels, seat, bars, brakes etc... is probably going to push the $6,000 mark. BUT - I thin it's worth it.

I'm jealous. I hope you have tons of fun on it.

mtbr member
    I've ridden Specialized, Trek, Cannondale, Yeti, Kona and more... FOES XCT-5 wins, hands down. It's a bit on the heavy side at right around 27-30lbs (depending on wheels, stem/neck, post, and bars), but you can't beat the FOES frame stiffness and quality combined with the Curnutt rear shock. Just can't beat it.

It absolutely climbs like a hardtail, and bombs down anything you'd have the balls to try. The Curnutt may take a bit of getting to know, but honestly - we're talking a couple days of riding. And it's worth it when you've got a true all mountain, trail, easily cross country, and moderately sane downhill bike...

There isn't a stronger, more comfortable, more versatile bike out there.

I should have my freshly ordered 2010 XCT-5 within 10 days. Cheaper than therapy, funner than S*#@T!!