mtbr member
    Sep 2009

2010 Rockhopper SL Pro, recommended upgrades

This bike is new to me as is riding again after 10 years (used to use my bike as my car for 3-4 years of college).

What are the recommended upgrades?

I will be mostly street riding weeknights and then to some S. Florida trails (we have mostly single-track stuff...not a lot of hills where I am at) on the weekends. Don't plan on competing.

The bike is pretty nicely outfitted...I don't know if I am crazy about the seat yet.

Thanks

Apr 2007
    How much you looking to spend? I'd say wheels first. $400 will get you a nice wheelset.

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    No real budget, I am ok with the oem wheels for now though, probably upgrade higher end parts as they break.

I am looking at the wellgo pedals for $25 on pricepoint the 71 model.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    x2 for wheels. put road tires on the current wheelset and swap around based on what you're riding. Other upgrade is a fork but not sure what fork is on the bike now.

It's about showing up.
    Quote Originally Posted by alkemyst
    No real budget, I am ok with the oem wheels for now though, probably upgrade higher end parts as they break.
    This is really a very interesting statement. On one hand it expresses a common wisdom and that is, just use the bike and upgrade when stuff breaks. But on the other hand you reject the very best advice about improving your bike and that is a set of wheels. Anything other than that is really just dicking around. That said, substantial ride quality changes dramatically with handbuilt high-quality wheels with sweet hubs but you're not going to get that for 400 bucks. The wheels on the bike below are fantastic and really improve the ride over the old XTR/Bontrager wheels but the hubs alone were $500.

Other than that you really have to make major systematic changes to improve the quality of shifting, breaking, weight reduction, and such. I've learned over time that those are the kinds of things that you include in the original design of a build, not add piecemeal. The increments of improvement are far too small to make a real difference. A far more substantial change in your riding experience comes from simply being a better rider and knowing how to keep your machine sharp and responsive.

Amending cockpit and contact points is always a nice idea. Saddles, bars, and seat post, can do much to add comfort and, during the early stages of getting to know the bike, can be a great part of fine tuning your “fit” on the machine. This can totally alter your experience.

However, I would simply ride the bike and not worry too much. The 2010 Rockhopper SL Pro, out of the box, is a pretty nice set-up. For what it's worth, most bikes I own are far better at cycling than I am. Keep that in mind and go have fun.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Berkeley Mike; 05-18-2011 at 01:38 PM.

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Well right Berkeley Mike, however there is always some low-hanging fruit / bang for buck changes any bike can have.

I already know pedals are a given...some better platforms now and clipless in a few months.

I am sure wheels would be night and day, but not looking to spend that kind of dough now.

Apr 2007
    Meh, I think even Stan's rims with ZTR hubs make a very noticeable difference vs. stock. Yeah, you can get I9, CK, or whatever and build a uber sweet wheel, but sure wouldn't put that on a Rockhopper (no offense, OP).

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by p nut
    Meh, I think even Stan's rims with ZTR hubs make a very noticeable difference vs. stock. Yeah, you can get I9, CK, or whatever and build a uber sweet wheel, but sure wouldn't put that on a Rockhopper (no offense, OP).
    don't have any clue what you mean here

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    B. Mike, How is a set of Kings better than a set of XTR hubs... performance wise? I understand that when the Kings blow-up, you replace the bearings/freehub. When the XTR hubs cups are shot, you replace the hub. Other than the high POE, how else can a rider notice the "substantial difference".
    Also, rims are rims as long as the weight class, rigidity and rim width is the same. So Stans Flows vs similar I9 rims, how will the I9's outperform the Stans?