mtbr member
    May 2011

2010 BMC speed fox or trail fox?

Upgrading from my hard tail of many many many years to a full suspension, I can get a great deal on a 2010 speedfox03. After test riding it I was blown away, maybe it's not the greatest bike, I'm more roadie savvy than mountain bike, but I was curious if this is a great bike, or if I just enjoyed a full suspension bike for the first time? Also What's the big difference b/w a Trail fox and a Speed fox, I'm not tech smart enough to understand it. I'll be mainly riding single track, big climbs, and cross country and a 12/24 hr. solo event in the near future, any thoughts on pulling the trigger on the speedfox or should I go testride a trail fox?

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Before dropping $$$ on a new bike try out as many different makes/models as you can.
    The Speedfox is a 120mm travel bike and well suited for XC & trail. The Trailfox is 150mm/6in travel bike designed more for trail/AM riding. The Trailfox will be a little more "heavy-duty" than the Speedfox. I'd say for the type of riding you do, the Speedfox would work well. Is it the best bike for you? ...only you can answer that.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    For the type of riding that you are describing, the speedfox sounds like a better fit. The trailfox will be beefier, and will be able to withstand a bit more abuse, but your climbing will suffer, and you'll be carrying around extra weight in that long travel suspension. Before committing to either bike try out a few other bikes, preferably with different suspension designs so you can compare the pros and cons of each.
    2013 Ritchey Swiss Cross

MTBR would like you to know that I am employed by a bike shop.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    This may sounds like a stupid question, but what is the difference b/w Trail/XC/and All mountain? I'll mainly be riding single track stuff with climbs and decents no greater than 2000 ft. but by no means will I be bombing down a mountain for a long time, what type of riding is that considered?

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Originally Posted by captainjoon

You can probably get more specific definitions on wiki but here is my version without the help of wiki:

- XC (Cross-Country) Usually involves various types of terrain - typical terrain: forest preserve hardpack loops, challenges strength and endurance more than skill. Typical bike setup: non-suspension or front or full suspension with short travel with main focus on lightness.

- AM (All-Mountain) Usually involves various types of terrain, uphill as well as downhill - typical terrain: any mountainous terrain, challenges strength and endurance and skills almost equally: Typical bike setup: full suspension with more travel than XC but less than DH or FR.

- FR (Free-Ride) Usually involves mountainous terrain, downhill, big drops and jumps - typical terrain: desert mountain sides, challenges skills and strength more than endurance. Typical bike setup: long travel full suspension with main focus on toughness.

-DH (Downhill) Usually involves mountainous terrain, long downhill with drops and jumps - typical terrain: thick mountain forest or ski resorts, challenges your ability to "hang-on-for-dear-life". Typical bike setup: long travel full suspension with main focus on toughness.
    In general, full suspension bikes are categorized by the amount of rear travel:
    4" - XC
    5" - Trail
    6" - AM
    7" - FR
    8" - DH